Few questions Im curious about

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SCcatman, Jul 24, 2009.

1. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a year 2000 Johnson 40HP.

Just a few question about 2 cycle engines in general.

1. Should I run Premium (92) or Regular (87) gas?

2. Is it normal for the carbs to be slightly wet with gas/oil? I mean very lightly, but they are not completely dry.

3. Is sooty oil accumulating on my boat transom normal?

I have a 1ft section of deck that catches water and drains it back out the boat while running, the top of it gets dirty with oil/soot after using the boat a few months

Thanks in advance.

2. SCcatman

SCcatman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    bump

3. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    87 octain is fine,, 40 hp isnt a high compression, high revin,, motor with advansed timming,,, save your money for worms
    Yes ,, everything you mentiones is normol,,
    the carbs will collect a bit of resadu from the fuel mist that most all 2 strokes spit back out,
    the water on the 1' of boat will collect dust, debree, and other dirt $ stuff
    and mildew of corse from getting wet all the time
    The contamanants in the hull is just that,,,, boat hull skum

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree with RK636.

Bill in SC

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Your residue problem highlights the difference between carbs and the new DI 2cycles.All that residue is virtually eliminated in the newer engines.Much more efficient combustion which leads to far better fuel mileage and less oil being consumed and expelled.The new HPDis have been approved for use in some of the worlds cleanest lakes which isnt easy.87 oct is the recommended fuel and I would use the best oil you can afford preferably your manufacturers oil.Boating magazine did a study a few years back and found that BP and Shell had the best additive packages of all gasolines and were the cleanest burning so that is what I try and use.I never use gas with ethanol in it and will go out of my way to get it if I have to.So far that isnt necessary here in NC but as much as I fish in Sc I never use SC gas in my boat because of the ethanol.If your hose and bulb are old I would change immediately to a newer ethanol proof type.Doesnt hurt to change the hose every 2years or so anyway.:big_smile:Use fuel stabilizer with every fill up also.