few problems with remington 597 semiauto 22lr

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by flatheadchris, Nov 21, 2007.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    After ever 2 or 3 shots the next empty shell doesn't extract from the rifle.the extractor looks fine,not rounded etc and ive tried tons of different ammo and still having this problem all of a sudden..any idea's?

also the magazine isnt feeding to well,its jamming as well.i took it apart and cleaned it and it seems like the spring isnt as strong anymore.ive fired about 1000 shots from the mag/gun besides the original owner.(bought the gun used and never had a problem untill now).

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sounds like it's time to get a new magazine or two, and myabe a new firing pin and or firing pin spring. i had a marlin model 60 that would do just what you describe, and the firing pin was broken. a lot of .22 lr's use a bar rather than a pin, and it's usually in a 'channel'. this can make it where a fully loaded magazine keeps pressure on the break, but after a few are shot out, the pressure stops and the rifle will no longer fire. you can get on numrich and the parts are not expensive at all.

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Try scrubbing the chamber real good with a wire brush, and I mean reeeal good. It could just have a build up that you can not remove with solvents, causing the cartridge to stick after it gets warmed up. I've had the same problem on other semi autos and a good scrubbing always cured the problem.

4. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    will do.any other tips is appreciated

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Make sure that the two long springs inside the are on the rods aren't weak or stretched. I know from experience that on the 597 that if those springs are off a little it wont eject. Make sure you scrub it up real good too. Mine would jam after about 500 rounds. A real good scrubbing would fix it right up.

6. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    found the problem.the extracter is bent :( anyone know where i can get one and the cost?

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Part #305011 extractor
    #97418 extractor spring
    #97039 extractor plunger

Toll free at Remington 1-800-243-9700. Have the model/serial # ready and a credit card. If you want to pre-pay with a check or money order, a quote will be given over the phone.

Nice lil rifles aren't they. Hope this helps.

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    do your self a favor and don't use remington parts. Volquartsen makes a precision extractor called an exact edge extractor. they are sweet. the same company makes a hammer for the 597 . they call it a target hammer . this part is a precisionb ground part that will reduce the horriable 8-10 pound trigger pull down to about 4and 3/4 to 5# pull. your magazines are also causeing part of your feed problems. i am willing to bet when new you were lucky to get 8 rounds in the 10 round clip and you were real lucky if you got 9 in there. get yourself some graphite lube and some 600 grit sand paper. pop the bottom off your clips. inside you will find a plastic magagine follower(it's probably orange)there are ribs on the follower that are suposed to keep the follower in position with the cast aluminum houseing. lightly sand these ribs then coat them with graphite . now put mag back together. when you get it right 10 rounds will easily fit in the magazine. i have a few 597's they cycle like singer sewing machines when you get them set up.

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i want to add one more little tip. if you brop the bolt on your 597 on the back of ityou will see 2 set screws. they are there to hold the bolt guide pins in place. from the factory the are tight(at present i forget what the inch pounds are) anyhow loosen them off until they are loose. tighten them till they just barely start to snug. back them off 1/4 turn. put your rifle back together and see if that don't make you smile the next time your at the range. if you try it you will like it.these set screws should be loose. you can not loose them and they will not fall out. when these screws are tight the increaseing spring tension causes the guide rods to bow. when this happens contact between the guide rods and the bolt create friction. when you loosen the set screws in the back of the bolt the guide rods no longer bow.