Few pointers please?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by fcrnnngbck25, Sep 1, 2007.

1. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Alright i'm planning on heading out today and goin fishing for the first time since school started here August 15th. I'm fishing at a spot i've had decent success and haven't really fished much this year. I've caught two 20 lb flatheads there but I know theres bigger in there. I seen a 45lber pulled out of there this year and a few other nice nice fish. It's pretty rocky and has a small spill way which is what i call it behind a power plant. It's not really all that deep but it has some good cover and a crap load of snags. I've used bluegill, cutbait, and chicken livers there and have had moderate success so i'm some of you guys knowledge will help me be more successful.

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Well for sure if there are many snags as you say I suggest the sacrifice the weight system. I have lost my weights almost every fish I've caught since I started using it and it made me wonder how many fish I lost before I started using it. I use a regular 2 eye swivel and put my main line and hook line on the first eye and the weights on the second eye with 12 pd test.

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    By the way stick to the bluegill or maybe small bass for bait.

4. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Thanks for the advice i'll try the sacrificing of the weights system. It kinda made me wonder once you said that of how many I probly have missed and not even realized it.

5. King Flats W'loo

King Flats W'loo New Member

State:
    iowa
    i would definitely fish the spillway make sure you have plenty of leaders and weights

6. KingVille

KingVille New Member

State:
    Iowa
    since you say its not that deep i would put on a float about a foot from how deep i think it is and let the bluegill swim around especially close to the spill way...good luck

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    :wink: Drop the liver and IF there are Shad in the waters don't be afraid to use fresh cut Shad also.

:big_smile_2:

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    here is what i would do. i would go weight less, catch me a small gill or a bass and toss it into the water coming down the spill way. they water will push it under and disorient it and make it act all crazy. if there are any big old flathead there they will jump on a chance to grab up a nice tasty blue gill.