few fishing rod choices

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by River_monster91, Mar 26, 2009.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well ill be gettin taxes back here soon and will have 260 bucks to go spend on goodies. right now i got an 8' berkley big game series m/h rod with a shakespear alpha reel spooled with 50lb spider wire. i bought it and the reel seperate at wallyworld, wich is where i usually do all my shopping. anyway they got the big white uglysticks for like 30 bucks wich is only 10bucks more than the berkley. they also got berkly light stick fishing pole combos for around the 45 dollar price range. i really like the berkley big game series but have heard good things about the ugly sticks and i know gus (utattoo) uses the light stick berkley rod/reels. what do you all think? really the only big open face they have seems to be the shakespeare alpha. its only a 20 dollar reel but ive got some 10lb channel cats on it and it seems to handle just fine. anyway just thought id get some of yalls opinions.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    You cant go wrong with any of the Ugly Stik poles. I dont care too much for the Berkley Glowsticks, seen a couple of them break in half with a big fish on them. Alpha reels are ok, but I like the Shimano baitrunners better.

3. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    We've caught 2 cats that where close to 20 lbs and a ton of other fish on the Berkley glowsticks. Love the pole the reel not so much. I have three of them 2 7ft and one 8 ft med-heavy with a abu 6500 on it. It's the pole I recommend to everyone.

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Most of my stuff is Wal-mart, too, Donnie. I do some business with
    Cabelas and Bass Pro and find their stuff is usually higher quality but
    more expensive. I've had no trouble with my Shakespeare Alpha reel
    but I can't shake the feeling that there is something a lot better out
    there, like the baitrunner reels that Shimano and Okuma put out.
    There shouldn't be anything wrong with your tackle selections.
    However, we are both going on the cheap for tackle. That means
    if you are gunning for a record, you might get disappointed. If you
    gotta sell plasma for rent, you've got to go on the cheap for sure.
    Seach for overall balance in your life. Be serene. Cruise garage sales.

5. Ehardman

Ehardman New Member

State:
    LeRoy, KS (On the Neosho)
    I have done some research on rods on this forum and have found and will be getting the Berkley E-Cat #3 & #4. From what I hear they are the one of the best out their. Only place to get them is Catfish Connection.

Is Catfish Connection a sponsor of the Brotherhood? If not they should be....:confused2:

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Watch out , dont say CC around here.........:0a19:

7. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    why are they going to take a way my birthday?:eek:oooh::cool2:

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    In all respect if you have $200+ to spend on a couple rods..... feel free to shop around, and don't do it at wally world... GO BIG OR GO HOME!!.. it also matters on the fish you plan to catch if 10 lbs is it, by all means buy a cheap rod.. your talking $90 a rod+ tax.... That = a couple damn good rods! PM me if you want some of the best under radar rods that you can get!

9. Ehardman

Ehardman New Member

State:
    LeRoy, KS (On the Neosho)
    We
    Well maybe their should be a page showing anti-Brotherhood companys :angry: that way we will know who not to talk about, and who not to support if we chose. Cause I believe in my motto below.....:wink:

10. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    You can get Ugly Stik tiger rods at cabelas/bps for $60. Things are absolutely amazing, and really for that high of quality of rod its a pretty reasonable price. I have no fear of ever breaking one of those...especially bc if it does you get a new one for free :smile2:

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well thats not true you have to pay s&h to ship them your broken rod + s&h for them to ship you your new one so for about half the price of a new one they will send you a new one. sh-- for a cheeper ugly the warranty dont mean squat because for the price of s&h you can go get a new one.

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    they used to be sponsers and they not now so you cant post links to their site.

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Brandon , for all that hassle you can just drive up there and exchange it. Thats why I buy 90 % of my fishing equipment at Cableas or Bass Pro, if something happens to it, I just take it back and exchange it, no problems, no questions . I dont have time to wait for it to ship and for them to ship it back. Thats also why I dont buy rods from some of these custom rod makers, for the money , the Ugly's are just as good, and I dont have to wait for someone to ship it back to me and mess around with paying some of the shipping , when it was their product that messed up in the first place, and yes Ive seen some of these top end rods break.

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea i guess the would if i had my recept:embarassed: oh well i aint scarred im pretty convenced i dont have to worry about breakage iv tried :smile2: if i break 1 i dont think its gonna be on a fish :wink:

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    True, those big bad Ugly's are beasts !!!

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    They used to be a sponsor, but dropped off. To me that puts them a few notches above all the places that have never been sponsors.

17. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    CC is like a Walmart. I cant afford to shop anywhere else.:smile2:

18. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    gander mountain is around a 2 hr drive for me so ill just stick to the uglys at walmart lol

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Donnie , you can order your gear online from Cabelas. Just send a money order if you do not have a debit card or a credit card.

20. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    get a free checking acount with a debit card so you can buy on line :wink: also walmart may be able to get you more than what they have. when i was looking at shotguns a while back the employee told me they can get anything they had but dont have in store so ask they have tigers at some of the walmarts who knows what you can get