Ferrel Pigs in Northern Indiana

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Fishgeek, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey! Are there wild hogs in northern Indiana? I hadn't heard of any but an odd experience happened to me yesterday that makes me think that maybe there are.

So, I get over to my assistant coach's house at 5:55am yesterday to jump in the car and go to Columbus, OH for the state tournament. As I walk up to the passenger side door, I notice something laying on the ground...kinda' looks like a bag. I thought that Byron had tossed something there to put in the car when we left. But, it really didn't look like a bag. A few minute later Byron comes out goes around to the drivers side and says "What the heck is that?" I go around to his side & there's the same kind of pile of something by his door. It's dark, really no lights, so I bend down to take a closer look & it looks like hair...like a hide of some kind. I give it a couple kicks & sure enough a ferrel pig head comes rolling out of the hide!!! Yes, it made me jump a little!

Come to find out that a couple of our team members were out for a run the other day and came across these hides..and heads...laying in a ditch off of some back road. They decided that it would be a great idea to leave a surprise for Byron! Punks!

So, did whoever killed these have to travel south or can they be bagged up north here? The one guys said one was tagged like a deer.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    never herd of any yet. lol that would great to have free pork anytime you wanted, wouldn't it? i bet it was those amish folks over your way Matt. lmao, blame the beards! hehe

3. Mean Streak

Mean Streak New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They are not even supposed to be in Indiana yet according to DNR. I have property in Spencer and thought I saw one last year but they said it was a hog that just got loose. So whats a ferril hog? One that got loose and is wild right? Things that make you go hum.

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I spoke to a conservation officer a while back. He said that the official DNR response is "no". He said there have been reports from pockets of the state bordering Southern Illinois and Ohio but nothing has ever been confirmed. He did say though that it would only be a matter of time before they show up for real. He said it would be fairly obvious if they do come into an area though, because they destroy everything.

5. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    If they are here I will hunt them like I do deer. Bring on the ham and bacon sandwiches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2:

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol, pigfoot really does exists!:crazy:

Man, I've only got to see wild turkeys twice in my lifetime... if there are wild pigs in Indiana, I'll never find one.

7. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    There are 2 types of States, those that have ferral hogs and those that will. Michigan has them.

8. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    if i remember correctly, when i was really young (3-4) we lived on a farm down by madison and im pretty sure i recall seeing a few pigs hanging up to bleed out from time to time, but not sure where they came from:embarassed:

we lived with a family my mom knew at the time, and they werent exactly "city folk"
    well actually im pretty sure they are kin folk with the clampetts (beverly hillbillies)
    (our only indoor plumbing for years was a shower stall and 1 kitchen sink. kinda like a wash out sink youd find in a laundry room or a garage) and this is in the mid 1980s!!!

so IT IS possible these guys were "finding" the pigs from farms nearby:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

dont really know, ill have to see if mom remembers what the heck im talking about:0a28:

9. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes Ron, ferrel hog is one that got loose & is living in the wild...just like ferrel cats are domesticated cats that turn to the wild side!