Female Deer With Antlers???

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by ldw45, Dec 15, 2007.

1. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Got this from a friend..... interesting & has the pics to prove it.........

Last Friday, November 30, while out in Brady, Texas on business, I had the opportunity to run out to the hunting lease with Jeff Cox for a little while. We were going to Jeff’s blind to do a little fix up and I just happened to take my gun along. When we walked up to his stand I heard a grunt noise and thought it was hogs, but Jeff happened to look over a ridge and see this deer standing there. I decided to take it since I didn’t know whether I would have the opportunity to hunt any more this season. I was able to walk about 15 yards to the edge of the ridge without the deer spotting me and as the deer walked away I made a mew sound to stop it. After shooting the deer with my .270 rifle, Jeff continued working on his stand and then we walked across a small valley to where the deer piled up. To both of our amazement, it was a true nine that had two tines broke off while fighting. The tips of the main beams where covered in blood from a brutal fight with another buck. Then we noticed something not quite right about the deer. Its’ musk glands on the hind legs where snow white. When we lifted its back leg up we were shocked to find that it was a doe!!! This has to be better than any trophy buck I will ever kill. We did not score it, but I am having it mounted.

Cliff Smallwood
    White Oak, Texas

Attached Files:

• #1.jpg
      #1.jpg
      File size:
      38.4 KB
      Views:
    • #3.jpg
      #3.jpg
      File size:
      34.3 KB
      Views:
    • #4.jpg
      #4.jpg
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
  2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    One out of every thousand deer or so has a hormonal imbalance that allows them to grow antlers. I seen a massive racked 11 pointer about 3 or 4 years ago. I expect with all the genetically enhanced feeds, and preservatives in everything that these odds will increase. We'll have to hunt much, much harder when they start to develop 3 eyes..

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dean,

That is something else!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice deer,Dean thanks for the story and pics,congrats.

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I have heard of antlered does so that doesn't surprise me, but I am surprised that she would be fighting. YOu learn something everyday!

Congrats; I would love to kill an antlered doe!

Eric

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    In the dept I work at we have to check in big game for the local hunters. Since we dose but never close we get some of the early am kills.
    About 4 years ago a young man came in with one and was kinda nervous and I told him he had nothing to fear, but he had a weired look about him.
    I got the tag book and went out to look his kill over.
    It was a 120# doe with 6 nice points and was snow white.
    I called the local DNR man and he came out to get the particulars on it and the young man mounted this head and its still talked about today around the locals.
    Strange things do happen in the woods for sure.

7. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    In IL if you kill an albino deer, you're in deep dookie! :smile2:

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    That white doe would have been nice as a full body mount. :big_smile::eek:oooh:
    Thanks for the post and pics Dean.

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Awesome story! Talk about a "girl" with hormone problems!! Bet she could be a real "witch"!:crazy:Ha! And fighting, too! Thanks for that great story, & for those awesome pictures. Good Job, & Merry Christmas. Please put of pictures once you get her back from the taxidermist!:big_smile:

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    That's a really nice buck/doe? Anyway you look at it it's an awesome deer. Flathead Willie killed a 3 or 4 pointer this year that had both sex organs.
    Chip

11. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I have heard about does having horns all my life but have never see one.
    Thanks for sharing.

12. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    its one of them he-shes :smile2:

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have seen two and heard of two more killed along the lower Ogeechee river in Georgia within 75 miles of the coast.The first that I saw was killed in Screven CO.where Hwy.24 crosses the Ogeechee River.This was 1957 I believe.There has to have been more.

I saw one road killed being shown in the back of a pickup in the mid 70's.It was picked up just outside Ft. Stewart GA.on Hwy.119.Perhaps Paul or Gator have a great chance for one.The genes are there and the Ogeechee and Canoochee rivers join at Fort Stewart.

Also the last Bear in our area that I know of was road killed on Hwy 80 in the mid 80's near the Ogeechee River,which is not far above Ft.Stewart.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Antlered does are fairly common. Most of them though differ in that they usually don't loose the velvet or shed the antlers.

As far as fighting, as a police officer, the toughest fights I think I've been in were women that thought they were a man, LMAO! They fight by different rules!

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    As far as fighting, as a police officer, the toughest fights I think I've been in were women that thought they were a man, LMAO! They fight by different rules![/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth. The hardest fight I have ever had after adding a badge to my every day clothing has been with a woman or should I say a she raw.:big_smile:

16. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is amazing.:crazy:

17. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, most of the ones that I've seen have had very irregular antlers, and never shed them. This one has an awesome rack! Very nice trophy.

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Geez now we have deer cross dressing whats this world coming to?:big_smile:
    Could have been a male and the wife had him castrated,there good at that.Hey it could happen:wink:

19. PrittyKitty

PrittyKitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've been around hunters all my life and never once have I heard of a doe with antlers... Congrats... Enjoy your mount...

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    They are common enough in Georgia that the have changed the wording from "Buck" and "Doe"to "Antlered Buck" (2) and "Anterless" (10).I noticed the spelling on the "Anterless".I assume some desk jockey expects everyone to inspect the sex before firing at a "Antlered Buck".Seems as if there is no antlered Does allowed.With a 2 Buck and 10 Doe limit the auto insurance companies finely made waves with our legislators.When the deer start killing the tree huggers,they do quickly rebell.

I saw a very old Buck in the Santee State Park herd in the 50's come out with post instead of his yearly nice rack.These deer were not extremely wild and this Buck had a inverted U shaped white place that came up from his belly behind his left shoulder.This made him distinctive from his left side.He had the post for about 2 years and then he disappeared.I have also seen this on a neutered male tame Deer.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee