Fellow from West Virginia wants some big catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I just had a call from a fellow in WV who wanted to come to LKN and fish with me for big cats, which sounded great. But, there was a kicker! He wanted to keep everything over 10 pounds so he could transport them back to WV to stock his pond. I let him know in a heart beat that I was not his man. Then, I explained to him that it was my policy and those of the Carolina Catfish Club and some of the members of the BOC to release (CPR) everything over ten pounds and only keep what you wanted or needed below ten pounds for tablefare. I tried to explain to him why we wanted to keep the big ones but, I don't think he was interested in our/my objectives.You can't win them all but some are worth losing!

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mac thanks for a job well done. We all need to strive to practice that CPR. We don't need to catch and kill or future of catfishing. Thanks for being vocal and standing for a very important principal.:big_smile:

3. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Is it legal to transport live fish over state lines to transplant? Seems to me that there are laws against such practices. I'll grant him that he is legally allowed to keep a fish like that but I wouldn't help him.

4. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bro., it is done all the time. Santee Cooper, from my understanding, ships out thousands of tons of blue catfish to different states for private ponds and state rivers, etc. I do not know what size they ship. North Carolina stocked Lake Norman in the eighties with approx. 4,500 blues from Ark. Blues are not native to North Carolina or Santee Cooper thus, they were hauled in from other state, such as Ark. and Miss.

5. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I know that fish are often introduced to one area from another. I read a lot about Pacific salmon being introduced to lake Michigan. States do it, but I'm pretty sure that it's illegal for individuals to do it. It is legal within the state to keep a legal fish and transfer it to a private body of water. My question is about crossing the state line with live fish. There's nothing in the regs about it that I could find. I know that catfish aren't considered game fish and he probably wouldn't get in any trouble. After reading about all of the confusion regarding castnets, I certainly wouldn't take a chance.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    lets see money or blue cats......i will keep the blue cats. money wont buy a mans pride! :big_smile:

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good job Mac!!! I am surprised you did not take his money, put him on fish, and then put green dye in the livewell and tell him they were radioactive and needed to be released before both of you died from radiation poisoning!!!! :lol: