felling trees

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JERMSQUIRM, May 26, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well it aint the wood working that ya think of but its wood.

i have dropped a few trees in the past few years since i began killing innocent trees for heat,lol. oh well. anyways most were in the country and i just cut them down with no shigrins.

this past saturday i had one of those proud moments. my uncle was cutting a 1/2 dead old maple. 50' tall give or take. and had a circonference that stands as tall as my waist. so no tiny tree. and powerlines asross street 20' away. after seeing several episodes of ax men on history channel i learned the proper way to drop a tree and avoid spring back. like in pics.

and this tree was fairly straight up and had a fork above two big lower limbs. these were taken off first. and i said no sense talking about it and began the wedge cut. my uncle freaked and was worried about the lines and neighbors homes. i laughed. i said im cutting the wedge it aint going no where yet. i cut wedge in the direction of the open lot next to it. he wanted to add a rope to truck for security.

so he tied the rope to it and hooked it to the bumper. and the back cut began. i told them about the step up in the back cut.

i aint no pro by no means and would frown on trees leaning to the wrong direction but felt confident about this ton tree. and as the back cut aproched the center the tree let out a pop. it fell directly where i had placed the wedge. perfect. i had a moment.:big_smile: i wish i had took some pics. it was a big one. anyone else had experience in felling large trees?

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes sir I am a tree butcher at heart,I was working for a man who I believe to be the best I will ever know-he taught me alot-you gotta love them trees and ART FINTON - money does grow on trees .....even though you were a a#@#$@ Hole I love and miss you dearly brother.
    ART "ARTIE"FINTON
    11/20/56 - 7/26/06

R.I.P.

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!:big_smile:

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i've cut some biguns in my day... I hate it.... I'd rather dig the backside with a backhoe and push it down when I want to be absolutely sure where it's gonna fall. cuttin' 'em down always gives me that adrinaline rush I HATE!

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've cut a few bigguns too in my day...it's a good feeling when they fall "as planned" :wink: My closest call was topping about a 60 foot pine, when the top fell it popped and the trunk I was on about knocked me in the face when it came back... close one...:eek:oooh:

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    Murderer! you know i'm jokeing. i was raised on wood heat with a giant fireplace that sucked cold air thru our drafty old windows about as fast as the heat went up the flue. it's not the big solid ones that get me fired up , it's the big hollow ones that give me an adrenaline rush. by the way when i was a kid we were alwys out of wood when the snow began to fly. the first christmas after i moved out i went back home and low and behold there set a king heater all nice and toasty warm and the whole house was warm to boot. previously i had to sneek the good tupperware to the bed room instead of a jelly jar for a night time drink because you could litteraly freeze water in my room.i may still need counseling over that king heater vs. fireplace thing.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya we have a small home. it was like the one ya mentioned when we moved into it in 1999. but for $16,500 i knew its potential. i have since put all new windows and doors in it (all double insulated glass) and insulated all exterior walls. and 1" styrofoam on outside and coated it with e.f.i.s. exterior insoluation and finish system. basically stucco like ya see on taco bells and such.

thats what i do for a living. made a world of difference. we got a $400 wood stove with glass front. see the fire like a fireplace but more heat. its ul approved and 75% efficient. the therostat in winter usually is around 75-80 in the living room.:wink: but its dry heat and feels good. the rest of the house is 70's. we never use the furnace. its there for a back up just incase it drops below 68 in the night. but almost never does. even on -0 nights.

i seen a note at caseys yesterday about a big maple apple and mullburry tree free to cut and haul. i hope i get em. my new echo saw i got a couple weeks ago is ready. chains are in the shop now getting a new edge. im gonna call tomorrow. may be dropping 3 this weekend.:wink:

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    we have a 3 yr old double wide that has all the insulation goodies but as of now we are total electric. i wanted a wood heater installed before they even brought or house out to set it up but my wife trumped me. she has alergies and doesn't want the wood mess. if she ever gets more alergic to electric bills than she is to wood heat i am down with the wood stove. if i could find time and the dough i have looked in to building an outside wood /water heater out of stainless i know 3 people who own them near me they they say they are great. what i would really like to have is just an outside fire box ducted in to the central heat and air vents. i may have to get more serious about that . i am trying to be more energy and fuel efficent in all my goings and comeings.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya. my uncle was looking into the outside corn burner duct in type. there pretty costly. but i would do it myself. like i do all my projects. im an electricion, plumber, tile setter, carpenter, tree feller, lawn man, rabbit farmer, gardener. ya get the idea,lol. ya, you got to vaccum quite a bit. but to save over $1000,00 a year or more. im all for it.

we have a wood rack on the front deck i bring wood to for the wife from the big stacks. she gets it from there. right now i have a 7' tall double deep stack about 50' long. and a stack 3 deep 7' tall 12' long in front of shop. and summer is just started. that is enough for 09 and 1/2 of 2010. i take every log tree i can get. and the front deck stack is full too.:wink:

my neighbor was trying to figure if i was saving by adding gas and saws and stove costs ect.. then time cutting and splitting. i laughed. i dont figure in time. i enjoy it. and if i wasnt cutting splitting wood ide be board or sitting at the legion drinking beer. ide rather drink beer and get some excercise stacking wood. and unlike all the rest here in town. with my generator, when a storm knocks out power in winter. i loose no heat for a second. and then after i hit generator we have heat power. like it never happened. and free wood the next day when i grab the saw and begin cleaning up the friends neighbors yards here in town.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I burn wood too, and drop 'em big and small. They fall where I aim 99% of the time. I mainly burn oak and hickory.
    BB in SC

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have to drop two 20-25 foot tall palm trees tomorrow morning. Anyone want some wood? :roll_eyes: Man I hate cuting palms, at least I get to break in a new homelite tomorrow, like that will last. LOL

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great job Jeremy!

I've fell a few trees on level ground and not close to buildings.

I have a fair size pine (base about 30 inch diameter), about 70 ft height. 8 ft from the house on a steep hill. Two tree cutters have looked and give me bids. (Wow!) They both say it must be climbed, topped (all limbs cut), then cut in small blocks dropping each block. Then hand carried up the hill about 50 ft to the closes place they can get a truck.

How would you like that job. :big_smile:

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

My Wifes Uncle got tired of getting raped by his propane bill so he had a pretty nice system installed.. Its huge... Firebox is surround by a big water tank. Water lines ran into his house, with pretty much a radiator tied into his central heating system, so it uses the same blower motor and ducting he already had.. The firebuilding has vent for the firebox tied to a thermostat. When it reaches a certain temp, the vent start closing up cause the wood to just smolder/ember making it last much longer.. If it starts to cool, vents reopen to spark the fire back... Pretty slick system.. He said he can fill in the morning, don't have to touch again until next morning.. He said his propane NEVER kicks on now no matter how cold it is...

He gets his wood FREE... He called a couple tree services. The drop it off at his house for free heh.. Guess there is some local ordinance that unless they have a certain amount of land, they have to pay some place to burn it off for them. So they save money dropping it off at his place.. Needless to say, he has a ton of wood....

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

burn it.:smile2: them needles go quick.

15. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I had one of those big skidders come in with the hydraulic cutter and tree grabber, he went through 50 tree's pretty quick. We are still cleaning up the mess, 2 weeks running :roll_eyes:

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lmao. thought ya said look at this mess,:smile2:

them were on modern marvels (history) a few weeks back. awesome. the saw hits the stump but the grippers are not aplied till the dust flies as to not bind it.

[youtubevid]7hrltvo0AT0[/youtubevid]

17. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    And that is slow one, you should see the other models or maybe it was just the operator!!

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this one is slow to start. give it a min. he processes in 3 min what would take me all day with a good saw.

[youtubevid]vskvs1znA-w[/youtubevid]

HOT SPRINGS AR. is this dayton???:smile2:

[youtubevid]Lm6gCLaFga8[/youtubevid]

19. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Cats, I know this has nothing to do with felling trees with a chain saw, but I got to tell you a story.

A couple years ago, I welded on a freinds big loader. I mean BIG, tires taller than me. Well when testing that loader out and checking my welds, I pulled up to this oak tree that was at least 2 foot around and 75 feet high.

I raised the bucket up as high as it would go, probably 16 feet or so and pushed that tree over. Then I backed up and lowered the bucket to the root ball, I picked up that root ball 12 feet or so and I dropped it. Man alive, Was that FUN. Gosh that machine was Awesome. Shear Power LOL LOL

It never spun a tire or made that engine lug down, just like " Let's remove a woods"

:smile2::smile2::smile2: