Feel sorry for me lol!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by channelcat_tracker, Jul 14, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    looks like im drafted into detastling. the members in the chat room arent helping me out much. looks like my hours are from 6 in the morning to 1 in the afternoon! boy oh boy thats alot of heat. and the temps for sat. sun. and mon. are lows of 95 and highs of 109. HOLY SMOKES im telling yea. but suck it up and take it like a man. this 1000 bucks are being well spent. half goes for college and 250 goes for my pheasants im investing in. and the other 250 goes for my safe and catfishing bait and supplies!

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I was a kid in southern Iowa, detasseling didn't have a draft... It was all volunteer...:lol:

3. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    my parents drafted me :roll_eyes: but its like the same thing. how were the conditions???

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    stupid guy here what is detasling:confused2:

5. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    its when you take the tastles off of the corn so it cant pollonate and its a special brand of corn. i dont know. my job is to walk chest high in corn and take tastles and to get paid! i shut up and work!

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I was wondering the same thing...

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just as you described...:big_smile:

8. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    Just remember not to day dream if you are using a sharp insrument to detassle with. It is hard to fish with just one hand!!!!!:lol:

9. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    What company are you working for? Where in Iowa?

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I was told when I was younger that those kinds of jobs like picking tomatoes ,cucumbers, squash,watermelons you name it we picked it were character builders. Now that Im older I think they were full of crap it was just hard labor for the poor :big_smile:

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Just think you get outside in the fresh air and paid to boot.
    think money ,money ,money

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah, but look at the character you turned out to be...:lol:

13. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Detastling is one of those jobs every American should have to do. Its Hot, hot work most of the time... no breeze, no air, and damp. Its really fun when the field get rained on and your feet weight a hundred pound each while walking through the field. Most of the time the corn 6 ft plus. The corn has a habit of producing a hundred slices per arm depending on how fast you are. Take old comforable shoes that will be ruinned, take a cover for the car on the way home. Drink lots of liquids. You pull the tasells not cut them aroun here. Theres my incouraging words.:lol:

14. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jobs like that ARE character builders. They teach you a work ethic, and help to make a man outta ya. Just like my son having to mow lawns. No matter how hot, or how tired he may be, they still have to be mowed.

15. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Doyle, you forgot to mention the bugs and the pollen that always seem to find there way down your back, in your hair, in your ears, etc....

Great charactor builders... oh boy!

Be VERY careful with that heat out there in the fields. That heat will kill you quicker then anything!
    _

16. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    I don't feel bad for you, Tony. I feel bad for the poor, destitute, illegal immigrant whose well-paying detasseling job you stole. :eek:oooh: lol, just kidding.

Keep up the good work, Tony. America needs more hard working youth like yourself. Rep points are coming your way.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I guess it does work after all:lol:

18. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Have fun with that. Just think of what you can do with that money!

19. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    Good luck. Just think of the money and not the job. The job sucks but it teaches you responsibilty and makes you appreciate your parents providing for you a little more. Granted they aren't working in the cornfield but they are working and giving you what you need. God Bless brother work hard spend wise

20. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Thanks for explaining. Dont worry about the job it is something you will look back on later in life.