Feed'n the fish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by samh, Sep 1, 2007.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    When I make my circle every morning feed'n the cows and the deer, I make a stop by the dock on the 2 acre pond below the house to feed the catfish. They go to busting the top of the water as soon as my truck pulls up. The biggest channel cat's will go about 15 pounds, couple of flatheads in there that will beat that. There's several bass in there that will go over 7 and one we weighed and released was 10.5 in the spring of 2005.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x270/sam3006/?action=view&current=fish.jpg

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x270/sam3006/?action=view&current=fish2.jpg

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x270/sam3006/?action=view&current=fish3.jpg

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x270/sam3006/?action=view&current=fish4.jpg

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x270/sam3006/?action=view&current=fish5.jpg

2. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Sounds like you have some decent fish in there?

The pic's were pretty neat.

Ken

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sam: What do you feed yours? I use a floating product from Purina. Unless it is just the camera perspective the stuff I use seems to be a little bigger than yours.

Mine come across the pond from every direction when my foot hits the dock. They come just under the surface, like submarines, their dorsal fins just under the water. It makes my day as I feed them at dusk. My problem is we have mentally named them. Tough thing for me to do to ambush them with a hook.

4. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I use the float'n catfish feed by Purina, too. May look smaller cause the camera was about 12 feet from the water, and it just a little digital camera to boot. Yeah they really come fly'n from everywhere when I get to the pond, I feed at around 7 AM and when I get there they're wait'n. My grandsons (2 and 3) get a kick out of them, the hardest thing is getn them to leave, they'd stay there all day.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thats gotta be a blast. Thanx for the pics.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where'd you say that pond was..?:roll_eyes:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice but I've got to fish that pond out! :smile2:

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Many thanks to my new best friend!

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Great pictures its kool that they actually "memorize" that you feed them. Must be great to see catties surface I have only seen that once. I suppose it will be really hard for you to catch them as they have become pets to you in a sense.

10. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
  11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Great fish Sam. I have 2 new ponds that were just stocked. Have another pond that the cahannels are in the 8# to 12# range. I also use the floating Parina food. Thanks for the pics.

12. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    What fun is to take kids down there and let them tie into them.

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    John the food comes in different sizes, a size for fingerlength fish, medium size and large fish.Kinda like puppy food and dog food.Yall probably just got different sizes.

14. darinspawn

darinspawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    nice. feed um up and make them bigger..

15. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the pics. Looks like some good fish.

16. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Can you catch them with cut bait, or stinkbait, or live bait, or do you use the same food you feed them with? I have access to a place where the channels are HUGE (2 17lbers have been caught, and bigger than that have been lost, average size channel is a very healthy 8lbs) and they are fed daily. I have had a hard time catching any this year though. One guy who fished it told me I had to fish weightless because that is what they are used to feeling when they eat. What do you who have ponds and feed the fish say?? Thanks and have a great day

17. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I can catch these on just about anything, specially when there's feed in the water. If I throw a scoop of feed out at the end of the dock I can take a small crappie ig and hold it right on top of the water and catch ( or at least hook) one in seconds. Seems like the very best bait when they're feeding is several pieces of whole kernel corn on a weightless hook.

18. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    What about when there isn't feed in the water, and How much does the feed cost?? I've thought about buying some to take with me to this pond!!

19. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Trouble with buy'n feed is I've only seen it for sale in 50# sacks, I think its about $14 a sack. As far as catch'n them when not feed'n, they bite all the standard baits pretty well, a big old glob of red worms is hard to beat, last time I took a couple of kids down there the only thing I had was some hotdogs and they did fine with them.

20. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    yep, I agree with that samh