Feeding and keeping bait fish alive if they're in a tank?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by THE PAN MAN, Aug 22, 2009.

1. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    i fish on the missouri river normally and like now the water is up to high and i cant get to my holes cause i have no boat. i can usually walk to em. i wonered if anybody who keeps their bait in a tank till the next time u fish, do u feed them or does it matter? i have had couple bluegill now for week and a half and their still kickn and i put grass and stuff in there. does that help?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I buy the cheap fish food at Wally World to feed mine. I've got about a dozen that I've had for almost a month. Just keep the water clean and aerated.

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    No it doesn't. The stuff actually rots and pollutes the water more. Theoretically, yes, feeding them would be great but you would have to find something they would actually eat. Stuff like oatmeal, cornmeal, worms, goldfish food, etc all has little to no nutrition for them. They'll usually go a month or so in a healthy tank with no food in mine. It would be cool to feed them but if you can't give them something they actually eat in a quantity where they eat it ALL, you defet the purpose yourself. Extra food rotting in the bottom of the tank will make fish sick real fast.

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Josh very good point you made ,thanks

5. festus

festus New Member

If you feed them, try to keep it to a minimum, like a live grasshopper or cricket cut into a few pieces and I change water about every other day. This isn't a problem because I have them next to a creek in my backyard.

Baitfish seem happier if you give them a little cover. I always turn 4 bricks on their side and put half a broken gallon clay flowerpot on top of them. They stay hidden under the flowerpot.

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I feed mine crickets or any old bugs i can find in the yard. The will eat fish food as well. But bugs don't get the water as dirty. Just keep your water clean and plenty of air. I also get my water from the river.