Feedind catfish deer guts?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by derbycitycatman, Nov 22, 2005.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Is there any reason to not dump the liver and heart and.. into a catfish pond?
    I guess im worrying about infection or disease. Ive done this for a few years and havent noticed anything. Thought it may give the fish a little extra to get through the winter.

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    not to be too cynical but your a little too late to be worryin about it now if youve done it for years ...right??:confused:

they eat all sorts of stinkbait and chicken livers and stuff ,i cant see it hurting but i aint no expert.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am sure the enjoy the treat!

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    there is a bridge close to me that everyone dumps thier guts off of. i know the cats like it and eat it,cause they are in there thick every year and have fat bellies. i cant see as were it would hurt the watershed,like you asked derby. but like said i am no expert in that field. maybe fishgeak will chime in he is an IDNR biologist.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    watch the laws too. here in illinois it is illegal to dump carcasses and or intrails into any waterways. im sure the turtles and fish eat it but i won't risk the fine here.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I do know this much......I have used dear hearts for bait, and had GREAT succes for big blues. In a 2 hour trip last fall my dad got like 5 blues from
    30-40 pounds, I got like 4 from 10-35 pounds. We had used them frozen. Worked great. But I dont know if it would hurt them or not to dump it in the pond.

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    River Scum PMed me twice about this, so I thought I should respond before he & 'Polecat dump their deer guts in my front yard!

I need to second what Cats4uandme said. Similar to IL, here in Indiana it is illegal to dump deer guts, carcasses, etc. in to our waterways. Likewise, it is also illegal to leave your fish guts, carcasses, etc. in our waterways. It is considered littering here. The moral of the story: clean your fish at home or use the extras for bait?

Now, biologically speaking, dumping a random deer carcass or leaving a couple catfish heads along the stream bank probably won't hurt anything. How many times have you guys seen a ripe woodchuck or deer tangled up in a log jam? It happens. I would guess the law is in place so everyone and their brother doesn't dump deer parts in the water. If that happened I think we can all envision what that would look like & smell like. It probably wouldn' be too healthy for us or the fish & wildlife in the area.

8. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    take the heart and cut it in half lengthwise with a fillet knife, remove all the tiny little sinews and such and open it on up flat. slice into long thin strips like french fries. dip in an egg wash then in seasoned corn flour and deep fry for a minute or two...

ya wont be feeding them to catfish anymore.
    yum yum

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I thought you were gonna say fish with them. I was gonna second that. Don't think I could eat them :D :p :D

10. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Over the last year I have read on the board about guys using hearts and livers from various animals so I save two hearts and livers from the Deer I got and packaged them up in small batches for use as needed. I will report how they work. Schoe

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I didnt even think about it being legal or not, or if there was even a law for it. I didnt do it this year since im gonna try and yote hunt over it. Im gonna read through the rules to see what it says in case I get another one this year. Dont think I could have eaten the heart even if I wanted to since I tore it up pretty good. I know a couple trappers so Ive got plenty of bait coon, yote, beaver and so on. One of the best livers Ive used for bait has been turtle.

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    matt, you know us good ol boys dont do stuff like that. um dont ya? lol