Feeder goldfish for catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kaleigh, Mar 19, 2006.

1. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Any thoughts on using feeder goldfish from petstores? Good,bad or other!:0a34:

2. sem21

sem21 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I See It Like This, Gold Fish Are Gold Fish . I Dont Use Gold Fish That Much But Thay Do Work Great. I Always Think Like This , Bigger The Bait Bigger The Fish.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    When I was in high school, our local Wal Mart had 2-3 inch goldfish for 16 cents each. I'd take my minnow bucket in and buy 'em out when I was running some bank poles. Sure got some funny looks!!!! I'd march right back there and ask for 3 or 4 dozen goldfish. It was awesome. They were $5 a dozen at the baitshops!!! Heck with that. My dad still can't talk about me doing that without laughing his head off.

4. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i agree goldfish are goldfish. i have only had luck with them in lakes though, never in a river.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Be carefull Mike. They ain't legal in alot of places. They are not considered a baitfish.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I keep looking at getting some of the feeder goldfish for bait but everytime i do they just seem too small... I don't have a problem putting them on a hook and tossing them out for crappie or something smaller but im highly skeptical about a 10 lb+ fish eating a 2 inch (at best) fish...

And i think if they are sold as "FEEDER" fish it reads the same as saying Baitfish just w/o hooks... I would be more then willing to make that arguement in court if a DNR Officer ever tried stoping me for using them... hmmm wouldn't baitfish constitute any fish on your hook being used for bait? hmmm guess you could challenge alot of things if thats the case....

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    OK we got us a lawyer. LOL! I believe the term "Feeder Fish" Comes from them being used as feeders for other tropical fish in the hobby.
    Now Bryan. Are you actually sayin that if its illegal to use em ya still would?

8. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I love to use the 3-4inch goldfish for bass. They work better than shad for me and are alot easier to get.

9. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    NEVER HAD ANY LUCK IN THE RIVER WITH THEM

10. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    The local bait distributor around here sells them at certain times of the year. They usually run 3-5 inches long. I used to get them when I was selling bait, but I sold more as pets than I did for bait.

11. hunterman1971

hunterman1971 New Member

State:
    Ky
    goldfish around here are good for flatheads and channels cut then up and watch out

12. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    gold fish are supposed to be good bait to use but here in pennsylvania you are not allowed to use goldfish as bait (Pg 6 2006 Regulations book.)

13. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I dont see why they wouldnt work though ,, but as said before I check the rule books

14. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have used goldfish here on the river before with no luck,but some years ago there was a pay pond we use to go to and fish,it was stock with just catfish. We used goldfish with a cork set about 3 to 4 feet deep and caught cats like crazy.one of my friends i was with hooked the grandpapy of the pond on goldfish which was 65lbs.but that was the only time i ever had or saw any success come from useing them.

15. Baldcopper

Baldcopper New Member

State:
    Eastern Ohio
    Used them a few times on the Ohio, but no luck yet, I'm sure I;ll try it again though. Dependes on how well we do on getting some gills.