Feeder Creek or Main River?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Ky_Katter91, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Hey guys I know of a spot on the Big Ohio where I can bank fish around the mouth of a fairly large creek (approx 100+ ft wide at the wider points). There is a lot of brush and timber around the mouth of the creek going back into it and some structure around the banks of the main part of the river.
    What would be my best bet? Fishing the main part of the river near the mouth of the feeder creek, or fish back into the creek a little ways? This creek also serves as an entrance for boaters to get on the river there isn't a lot of traffic, as theres a more popular entrance about a mile up the road where most of the boaters enter.
    I would be very greatful for any advice.

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello Justin and welcome to the BOC. I'd try the current break around structure at the creek mouth as the big 'uns like to use these areas to "ambush" whatever comes by. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

3. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    justin i would try both creek and river

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d fish the main river,hoping to hit em coming in or going out.Sounds like a nice spot with all that cover out into the main river.I,d try in the creek when the rivers flooded.I,d also try the creek when they,re on the spawn too.:wink:.You might be onto a hot hole here!:cool2:

5. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i agree with roger,i would try both.i would concentrate on the structure in the main river in the day.and at night try the feeder creek.also try right where they merge sometimes they lay and wait for bait fish to get washed out.just mix it up,sounds like a great spot.definantly worth spending some time on.good luck ,keep us updated.

6. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Well like i said I may be headin out there Saturday night if i dont head to the lake.
    If I don't go this weekend. I'll probably go just to scout it out a couple times when i get the chance and wait til next summer to fish it pretty hard.
    Thanks for the feedback guys! :smile2:

7. BARathke

BARathke New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I'd fish all around it, sounds like a great spot.

Keep us posted.

8. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Sounds like an awesome spot. That's a rather nice delema to have. Time spent in learning the area will reap the rewards for you. (Only the fish know and their not talking) so you must figure out the puzzle. That's half the fun of fishing.

Ray

9. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    hi Justin welcome, i would try the river first unless it is on the rise pretty good. when the river comes up fast i found down here in ga the big cats feed heavy in the mouths of the sloughs and creeks where the water breaks. then when it starts dropping they go back in the holes and cover. have fun!!

10. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Theres a spot very similar to this one that I have fished one other time, and got too busy doing other things to do much fishing since then. It's a spot about a mile or so up the road, that also serves as an entrance onto the river. Also a fairly large creek; and it's in an outside bend of the Ohio. But theres a lot more boat traffic.
    I think this second spot would be a great alternative to the first one I mentioned and if I mix it up just right I should be able to lay into some hawgs.

11. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Well. Didnt get to go tonight. Had to work til close unexpectedly.
    Very unfortunate, but I got all next summer. :cool2: