Feedback on Spinning Reels with Free-spool Option

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by blackburnian, Oct 4, 2006.

1. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    I have been and will be buying new catfishing equipment and want feedback on the spinning reels with the free-spool option. These are the reels I am speaking of. I have one Salt Striker and one Okuma Avenger so far.

1. Shimano Baitrunner - the highest priced and possibly the best
    2. Penn Live-liner?
    3. Okuma Avenger, Epixor and Coronado
    4. Cabelas Salt Striker (Okuma?)
    5. Shakespeare Tidewater - cheapest, not to say poor, hard to find
    6. did I miss any?

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have the Okuma Coronado C90 and LOVE IT! It is the best spinning reel I have ever used. I am looking to buy a couple more in the next year or so, I want to fish with it almost exclusively. I have also heard great things about the Penn but I can not afford a 150 dollar reel. But I highly recomend the Okuma!

Bass pro has the Tidewater. My budyd bought one and first night out hooked into a nice fish (30+). He fought it for about 5 minutes and it made a hard run and stripped every gear outa the reel, i do not personally recomend it.

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I bought one of those livebait spinning Okiumas. I don't have any complaints so far. I brought in several 40lb flat with it so far. Good reel.

4. kykatattack

kykatattack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have owned 4 silstar openbail baitfeeder 4 12 years now dont use much any more but i would take them right now bend the rod in half and rely on them reels for a record cat with dust on em and all i have 2 of the 60 models and 2 of the 90s

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have two of the Diawa Sealine 5050 with baitrunner and love them. They are as strong as my Abu 6000's and hold alot more line. The only thing I would change would be the volume of the bait clicker its is not as loud as the 6000 but you can hear it.

6. hunter 327

hunter 327 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I have 3 okuma epixor with baitfeeders, they are 50 eb,65eb,80eb. I wouldn't use anything ,but these reels they are the best. Have not had a problem with theses reels . Will buy more some time this year, try one you will like it.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have a Shimano Baitrunner 6500 and it's really awesome. Still don't like it quite as much as my baitcasters though.

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Have A Coronado And I Like It.

9. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    blackburnian, OK, I made comments about my personal choices before and will make this short. The Shimanos are on the High end of the price scale and perform like they should be. The Okumas are in the middle of the price scale to me and perform like they are in the High End price range. I would not hesitate to use either of these reels for Catfish in the USA and use them primarily for Wels Catfishing here in Europe. I can not see a reason to change at this point and would place them side by side with any other current Free Spool/Baitrunner reel made today. I also have Diawa Freespool reels for Carp fishing to go along with my Shimano 10K reels that are Great for what they do. If the reels are to be used Hard and Often, Go for the Shimanos or Okumas. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have the Okuma Coronado CD 90's and a Shakespeare Tidewater freeliner TWS70FL.I love the Coronado CD 90's as it is built with SS gears and bearings.The reel is also sealed against everything.It has a awesome line capacity and the X-tra spools complete with drag were much cheaper than the competitions.This makes your reel very versatile when you can afford several X-tra spools for the price of one and carry them along spooled with assorted lines.I was amazed that the Coronado reels handled from 10 lb.to 60 lb.mono great.I have not tried anything smaller or larger.At times I need huge reels to fish lighter lines with my hands.I also like to use large dia.tough lines for fishing obstructions where you may be cut off by sharp shell in saltwater. I have no complaints with the Shakespeare.It holds aprox.2/3rds.of the line that the Okuma does.As I am handicapped,I have not been able to use the reels but little.I have fished fresh and saltwater all of my life.I am very satisfied so far.I wish you the best of luck.peewee-williams