We had no idea. After the chicken salad sat out for a few hours during my grandma's birthday party, we fed it to the beloved English Setter, Lizzie. It was very good chicken salad, the problem was that it contained GRAPES. The dog was fine the first day, got sick the 2nd, and the third morning she went outside and collapsed. We took her right in to the vet who did everything they could, but Lizzie had renal failure and was hypothermic, and dehydrated, so they did I-V treatment and warm towels to bring her back. She needed more care than they could give, the animal hospital in Grand Rapids, but as we were transporting her the 30 minute car trip, she started convulsing and died in my arms. We have always fed the dog leftovers, table scraps, etc. We don't know what foods dog's can't have, like grapes and raisins. It isn't worth it, just throw the food out and feed the dog its own food. We lost a darn good hunting dog, companion, and family friend because of our ignorance. I am more than broken-hearted to lose Lizzie like this.