Feed your dog only dog food

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by DLB-in-GR, Aug 11, 2009.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    We had no idea. After the chicken salad sat out for a few hours during my grandma's birthday party, we fed it to the beloved English Setter, Lizzie. It was very good chicken salad, the problem was that it contained GRAPES. The dog was fine the first day, got sick the 2nd, and the third morning she went outside and collapsed. We took her right in to the vet who did everything they could, but Lizzie had renal failure and was hypothermic, and dehydrated, so they did I-V treatment and warm towels to bring her back. She needed more care than they could give, the animal hospital in Grand Rapids, but as we were transporting her the 30 minute car trip, she started convulsing and died in my arms.

We have always fed the dog leftovers, table scraps, etc. We don't know what foods dog's can't have, like grapes and raisins. It isn't worth it, just throw the food out and feed the dog its own food. We lost a darn good hunting dog, companion, and family friend because of our ignorance. I am more than broken-hearted to lose Lizzie like this.

Attached Files:

2. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Really sorry to hear that, Doug. Hopefully this will at least prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

3. bodach

bodach New Member

State:
    KS Emporia
    Im very sorry to hear about the dog, but it may have been something specific to that dog we have a boxer sharpei mix that is just crazy for grapes. Dog food was invented in the 1940's to 50's before that they always ate scrapes the only things I have always avoided feeding dogs is chicken bones (for obvious reasons), onions and chocloate because the are bad for their systems. A high quality dog food is better for them but our dogs are more like our kids and since I have never managed to learn how to cook for 2 people they almost always get a plate of food when we are done. Again sorry about your dog

4. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Yeah, there were some green onions in the chicken salad too, and I guess those are also toxic to dogs. We can't know for sure what got the dog, maybe it was just her time, but 48 hours after the chicken salad she was gone. Everyone knows about dogs and chocolate, but there are strange interactions between dogs and a lot of human foods. The vet said that about 25% of dogs respond this way to grapes, a severe reaction, and they have seen it before with raisins.

5. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    sorry to hear that, i have a bad habit of feeding my dog scraps, i guess i need to research more on whats bad for them

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Im very sorry to hear about your dog. I know I have fed my dog table scraps and it has maken him sick. I hope your heart heals fast as I know dogs are great friends.

7. Minnowslayer

Minnowslayer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sorry to hear about your dog.Thanks for the info though.We feed our dogs scrapes all the time.Now I will be more careful.

8. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    That sucks. I've seen lots of dogs eat grapes with no adverse affects. Never heard about onions though, but most dogs wouldn't eat them anyways unless they're mixed in something else.

9. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your pal.

I have also heard about the additives, artificial sweetners in some candy causing reactions in dogs, potentially fatal. I know of one case of a dog eating candy out of a purse and it didn't make it. My dogs rarely ever get anything besides their dog food. I also prefer dry to canned, but thats another subject...

10. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Sorry to hear about your friend.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Very sorry to hear of the loss of your companion. Setters are wonderful dogs.

Bill in SC

12. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Sorry about your friend.I know it hurts to lose a family member.I have had many dogs and cats over the years pass away it 's never easy.Time and maybe a new pup will start the healing.

13. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Im really sorry that you lost your dog, man. That just sucks. We have also had prolems with our dogs with snacks. Finally had to keep them on dog food only. How old was your dog?

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Doug, Sorry to hear of your loss. Dogs are mans best friends:wink:

15. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sorry bout your dog my friend..

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry to hear that brother. I had an English Setter named Gunner for 13 years until my Ahole neighbor poisoned him with anti freeze. I also raised bear dogs for about 20 years. I've always fed Purina. I don't think any other food compares to it.

17. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Doug sorry to hear about your pet ,i have a bad habit of saving the last bite of a sandwich or what ever i,m eating an giving a piece to each of our dogs ,

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Doug we are sorry to hear of your loss. Dogs can become a part of the family and it hurts to see them go.

19. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Onions and garlic are poisonous to both dogs, and cats. It affects cats more...maybe because they're usually smaller. There's a compound thiosulphate...sulphate, the thing that makes them stink....that causes their red blood cells to burst, and the develop a form of anemia. Basically it prevents their blood from carrying oxygen, and they suffocate.
    I read something in the news about this same problem several weeks ago. It stuck in my mind, because my grandmother has several dogs and cats...and old woman with a houseful of dogs and cats, imagine that....and she's real bad about feeding them scraps. Hell...that's not true....she COOKS for them! Whatever she eats, they eat! So I warned her about it...don't know if it stuck, or not. I warned my mom about it, too. For some reason she was sprinkling garlic on her dogs food...I guess she thought it made the food taste better for them. :roll_eyes:
    Grapes are bad, too, and some dogs really like grapes. You have to watch if you grow your own, because some dogs will eat them right off the vine! Grapes cause the dogs kidneys to fail. Usually it will take about 24 hours for the first signs, which may include vomiting, and diarrhea. If you can get them to the vet in time, there are treatments they can perform before the kidneys totally shut down...IV fluids, purging/stomach pumping, or pumping their stomach full of activate charcoal. Fortunately a grape, or two isn't enough to be toxic...although as few as five to seven may be, depending on the dogs body weight.
    In your dogs case it could have been a combination of factors, or none...it may have just been the dogs time to go, as you said. But you did hit on the most important thing to be aware of, and that is to feed your dog just plain dog food, and not table scraps. Dogs really are man's best friend, and losing a friend always hits us hard. It's worth doing everything we can to keep our friends healthy, and happy. Feeding them scraps just isn't worth the risk.
    Heal your heart brother, we all feel for your loss. Take comfort in knowing your dog is in a good place, beyond pain, where the sun is always shining, and there's always a rabbit to chase.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I can't see why/how grapes or onions could cause such a reaction; I've heard that chocolate will cause dogs harm. Did the vet explain what happened?

Our outside dogs eat most everything, except chicken bones; and we're careful not to let them have too much grease or fat, but these dogs run free outside 24/7 summer and winter and have scores of acres to run on. They often catch/kill their own wild game and are great mousers. Perhaps the activivity makes a difference in what they can eat and get away with?

I am 99.99999% certain these dogs have eaten the very same thing: blinky chicken salad with onions and grapes; that's the very way Tina makes hers.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I love dogs (as a general rule more than people)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009