The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santee Rig Setup!

I am going to put this rig on my catfish rods this season except my regular bobber rig rod hope it helps. I need all the help I can get for more catfish action this coming season. Wondering if folks have had better action with the rig on the Ohio River.

When it gets spring time again I wish tight lines to all. Norb

·
Registered
166 Posts
Never have used it on the Ohio. I do from time to time use the draggin tail that Larry Mize came up with. Use it while dragging baits in wooded cover. Works well most of the time. Similar concept as the Santee riv

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
Norb, I use this rig a lot while anchored. Nothing more than a bottom rig with a styrofoam float added to get the bait slightly up off the bottom and give it a little movement in the current. I also fish the Ohio River but a little down stream from you. With the current I am fishing, I have the float (1) foot above an 8/0 circle hook on a 3 or 4 foot mono leader.

I use a 3 inch float and double peg it when I can. I have also used small balloons, blown up just slightly to golf ball size or smaller. When you tie the balloon on the mono line, try to wrap it the pigtail around the mono three times and then do a simple overhand knot. That will keep it from sliding.

upload_2018-1-16_9-26-38.jpeg

Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,187 Posts
Norb,
As Tom says, that rig will work fine; it, (with some small variations to suit prevailing conditions) is pretty much all I use on the Ohio, even when drift fishing.

Just out of interest, what has been your usual rig that you are changing from?

...W

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Sinker bumpers are important. If the sinker can hit the knot on the barrel swivel you will soon lose a fish. Being a tight wad I use very small vacuum line from the auto parts store cut to 1/4 to 3/8 long. A couple feet gets me through the year.
Also I have found when drifting shallow mud flats using a bigger no-roll stirs up mud and seems to attract fish. Might be it causes it to jerk more or stirs up mud. ??? Same with suspended drifting, a bigger sinker gives the bait more jiggle for the "barge bite ".

·
Registered
101 Posts
Arky even cheaper and get a couple of years out of one roll. screen spline 25' roll at home depot for 4.86, have been using it for years. Had a old timer back in the 80's when I lived in Kansas show it to us to stop the weight from getting to the knot.
Really miss Milford and the Republican river.
Good luck this year!

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Norb,
As Tom says, that rig will work fine; it, (with some small variations to suit prevailing conditions) is pretty much all I use on the Ohio, even when drift fishing.

Arky even cheaper and get a couple of years out of one roll. screen spline 25' roll at home depot for 4.86, have been using it for years. Had a old timer back in the 80's when I lived in Kansas show it to us to stop the weight from getting to the knot.
Really miss Milford and the Republican river.
Good luck this year!

...W
I j
Norb,

...W

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
I just have a 3 oz. no roll sinker about 1 foot above my 4-5 ott circle hook.
Norb, that is the leader length I use when drifting with the bait held a foot or so off the bottom. I like the short leader while drifting because it gives me more control over the hook and hopefully I will get snagged less.

If I am bottom fishing, I want a longer leader and generally have it 3 to 4 ft long. The longer length leader allows the bait more freedom for movement which I think is a more natural appearance.

Note: In the OHIO, I only use 6/0 or 8/0 no role sinkers. While drifting, I want the line hanging as close to straight down as I can get it. I don't know it this difference in weight makes a huge difference but wanted to mention it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I used them a lot on live bait. I'm not sure why i don't other times.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Norb,

...W
Just a non-roll sinker about a foot above the hook.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
Norb, I am not sure if your post in # 12 is a question or not. If it is, when I am drift fishing, I like to be where the bottom is some what consistent in depth. I use the rig shown in post #3 minus the float. I keep my leader around 12 inches long because I want a lot of control of the rig. The longer the leader, the more chance of getting snagged. I toss the baited rig out about 25 feet and let it ease back as I thumb the spool lowering the rig. On this rig, if you just drop it straight down, the sinker being the heaviest will go down the fastest and the bait will follow it but will spin, wrapping the leader around your main line. When the sinker gets to the bottom, I lift it 3 or 4 feet to make sure it is straight down. Then I touch the sinker to the bottom again before finally cranking the sinker 2 to 3 feet above the bottom. That is where I leave it as I watch the depth finder. I raise or lower the sinker as the depth changes.

Now, if I am anchor fishing, I often use the exact same rig but will add the float. Since I an not drifting along, there is less chance of getting snagged so I use a longer leader. I like a 3 or 4 foot leader which I feel gives the bait a more natural movement in the current. I like to always have the float (3 inch) about a foot above the hook when I use one.

This is just the method I like but there are other good methods also.

I use 65 # test braid and always use 8/0 or larger hook on the Ohio. I figure if a little fish gets away because he us a runt, I have only lost a runt but,,,,If I use weaker line or a small hook, I am taking the chance of losing a really big fish. I would rather take the chance on losing that runt to have the best chance of catching a trophy.

tight lines
Hope you have a great upcoming year

1 - 13 of 13 Posts