Feds to 60 Million American Anglers: We don't need you

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Oct 9, 2009.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    IRVINE, Calif. USA – October 5, 2009 – A recently published administration document outlines a structure that could result in closures of sport fishing in salt and freshwater areas across America. The White House created an Interagency Oceans Policy Task Force in June and gave them only 90 days to develop a comprehensive federal policy for all U.S. coastal, ocean and Great Lakes waters. Under the guise of ‘protecting’ these areas, the current second phase of the Task Force direction is to develop zoning which may permanently close vast areas of fishing waters nationwide. This is to be completed by December 9, 2009.

Dave Pfeiffer, President of Shimano American Corporation explained, “In spite of extensive submissions from the recreational fishing community to the Task Force in person and in writing, they failed to include any mention of the over one million jobs or the 6o million anglers which may be affected by the new policies coast to coast. Input from the environmental groups who want to put us off the water was adopted into the report verbatim – the key points we submitted as an industry were ignored.”

Recreational fishing generates a $125 billion annual economy in the United States and supports jobs in every state according to government figures. Through the Sport Fish Restoration program, anglers have provided more than $5 billion through excise taxes on fishing tackle to fishery conservation and education for decades.

In addition to the economic aspects, anglers lead the nation in volunteer conservation efforts on behalf of improving fish habitat, water quality and related environmental areas. “There was no mention of the fishery conservation efforts which anglers have led for over 50 years in every state – an environmental success story that has no equal in the world”, said Phil Morlock, Director, Environmental Affairs for Shimano. “The Task Force did not make any distinction between the dramatic differences between harmful commercial fishing harvest methods and recreational fishing, even though we spelled it out for them in detail,” added Morlock.

Claiming to be the result of a public consultation process the report states, “Having considered a broad range of public comments, this report reflects the requests and concerns of all interested parties.”

The original White House memo and not surprisingly the Task Force report contains multiple references to developing a national policy where Great Lakes and coastal regions are managed, “consistent with international law, including customary international law as reflected in the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea” - a 300-page treaty the U.S. has never ratified.

“We question what implications there will be for state authority and jurisdiction in the Great Lakes and coastal regions if the U.S. adopts the U.N. Treaty,” said Pfeiffer.

The report makes it clear that future authority for implementing the policy for coastal and inland waters will fall under White House jurisdiction with a new National Ocean Council comprised of over 20 federal agencies at Cabinet Secretary or Deputy Secretary level. No reference to Congressional jurisdiction is indicated.

“This significant change in U.S. policy direction is the result of a 90-day fire drill process as ordered by the President that, not surprisingly, lacks balance, clarity and quality in the end product,” said Morlock. “People who simply want to take their kids fishing on public waters deserve better from their government,” he added.

Shimano is joining with other members of the recreational fishing industry to urge anglers to contact their members of Congress and the administration to request this process be required to adopt the economic, conservation and social contributions of recreational fishing as key elements of the policy. It is critical that we ensure Congressional oversight and state jurisdiction and management continues.

E-letters can be sent to the administration and members of Congress by visiting KeepAmericaFishing.org. The future of fishing is in your hands.

###
    Editor’s Note: Phil Morlock is attending Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus functions this week in Washington, DC, but will make himself available for questions, interviews on this. Contact John Mazurkiewicz with Catalyst Marketing for arrangements.

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have said it before, we better enjoy our fishing now, cause that right is gonna be takin away from us very, very soon...Thanks Obama!

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I did my part:

Message sent to the following recipients:
    Representative Driehaus
    Senator Brown
    Senator Voinovich
    Message text follows:

James Brooks
    ********* Avenue
    Cincinnati, OH 45252-1428

October 10, 2009

As one of 60 million anglers in the United States, I am writing to express
    my deep concerns regarding the National Ocean and Great Lakes Policy
    proposal recently released by the Ocean Policy Task Force. I am very
    disappointed that the task force failed to recognize the significant
    conservation, economic and social contributions of recreational fishing
    and include that as a key policy component. I am also very concerned about
    the abbreviated 90 day timeline which forced the Task Force to rush to
    issue this policy document. The implications of such a policy are vast and
    nationwide. Therefore, the review process should be very deliberate and
    with more than 30 days of public review and comment.

My fishing license fees go directly towards conserving and managing
    fisheries in my state. Additionally, every time I purchase fishing
    equipment, the federal excise tax on that purchase goes to state fish and
    wildlife agencies for fisheries conservation throughout this nation. It's
    safe to say that recreational anglers have provided the lion's share of
    funding for fisheries conservation and management in this county for well
    over 50 years. In fact, according to NOAA Fisheries, saltwater anglers
    contribute over $82 billion to the economy and support over half a million
    jobs.

How can our contributions be ignored?

I am a conservationist who loves the outdoors. I believe that recreational
    activities like responsibly-managed and regulated recreational fishing
    deserve full consideration and incorporation in the administration's ocean
    and Great Lakes policy. Providing the angling public with access to public
    resources is no less important than conserving those resources. Therefore,
    I am urging you to include recreational fishing as a separate and distinct
    ocean and Great Lakes priority.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

James Brooks

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Our nations was borned Jul 4 1776---Died Nov 4 2008. :sad2::sad2: I never voted for Obama, did you?:crazy:

6. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have never split a ticket in my life. Back in the old day, when I could, I simply marked the "R". I am a conservative. Not just when things are going my way but full time And I sure as heck would not sell out my values and vote for someone just because I think they may or may not put a few extra bucks in my pocket.

What we as sportsmen across the nation need to do is band together. Working in union we would be strong enough that we could vote out almost anyone trying to take away our heratige. And in the end, Our votes are the only true voice we have.

7. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi

NOPE!!!!!! :cool2:

8. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    and also.. this is just crap:angry:

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am surprised more member aint up in arms about this, they are trying to take our fishing rights away from us, and it looks like they are gonna do it.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What rights are they proposing to take away?

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I heard about this through some rod builders out west last week, Glad I read your post. Every red blooded american should sign this and send it to there state rep's IMHO.

Message sent to the following recipients: As well:wink:

Representative Davis
    Senator Bunning
    Senator McConnell
    Message text follows:

October 10, 2009

As one of 60 million anglers in the United States, I am writing to express
    my deep concerns regarding the National Ocean and Great Lakes Policy
    proposal recently released by the Ocean Policy Task Force. I am very
    disappointed that the task force failed to recognize the significant
    conservation, economic and social contributions of recreational fishing
    and include that as a key policy component. I am also very concerned about
    the abbreviated 90 day timeline which forced the Task Force to rush to
    issue this policy document. The implications of such a policy are vast and
    nationwide. Therefore, the review process should be very deliberate and
    with more than 30 days of public review and comment.

My fishing license fees go directly towards conserving and managing
    fisheries in my state. Additionally, every time I purchase fishing
    equipment, the federal excise tax on that purchase goes to state fish and
    wildlife agencies for fisheries conservation throughout this nation. It's
    safe to say that recreational anglers have provided the lion's share of
    funding for fisheries conservation and management in this county for well
    over 50 years. In fact, according to NOAA Fisheries, saltwater anglers
    contribute over $82 billion to the economy and support over half a million
    jobs.

How can our contributions be ignored?

I am a conservationist who loves the outdoors. I believe that recreational
    activities like responsibly-managed and regulated recreational fishing
    deserve full consideration and incorporation in the administration's ocean
    and Great Lakes policy. Providing the angling public with access to public
    resources is no less important than conserving those resources. Therefore,
    I am urging you to include recreational fishing as a separate and distinct
    ocean and Great Lakes priority.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely, Kenneth W Price @ FlameKeeper Rods

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  12. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    sounds like a new way to generate tax revenue. they'll put some extra taxes(like the sin taxes on tobacco and alcohol) on everything we buy for our fishing hobbies. and of course, we have to have lawyers for all the little fishes as per obamas new fishing czar.

13. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Yeah, I'm with you on this one.
    I've had to explain this article to a few people at work today, and I get pissed off just thinking about it. I don't think people realize that their gear/boats/etc are useless if they take fishing away from us. :smile2:

14. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    That's a very good question, so far it sounds like a lot of theory and conjecture.

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    THE PRESIDENT'S MEMORANDUM

On June 12, 2009, President Obama sent a memorandum to the heads of executive departments and federal agencies establishing an Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force led by the White House Council on Environmental Quality.http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/images/Interagency_Oceans_Task_Force_Members.pdf

The Task Force is charged with developing a recommendation for a national policy that ensures protection, maintenance, and restoration of oceans, our coasts and the Great Lakes. It will also recommend a framework for improved stewardship, and effective coastal and marine spatial planning.

"The oceans, our coast, and the Great Lakes provide jobs, food, energy resources, ecological services, recreation, and tourism opportunities, and play critical roles in our Nation’s transportation, economy, and trade, as well as the global mobility of our Armed Forces and the maintenance of international peace and security," President Obama wrote in the memorandum. "We have a stewardship responsibility to maintain healthy, resilient, and sustainable oceans, coasts and Great Lakes resources for the benefit of this and future generations."

"The challenges our oceans, coasts and the Great Lakes are facing are complex, and to meet these challenges we must have the participation of a wide spectrum of views from within the federal government," said Nancy Sutley, Chair of the White House Council on Environmental Quality. "The Task Force has a wealth of opportunity to make our oceans, coasts and Great Lakes healthier - both environmentally and economically."

The recommendations and frameworks developed by the Task Force will be cost effective and improve coordination across federal agencies. The Chair will terminate the Task Force upon the completion of its duties.

This is good folks, not bad.........:wink:

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No it is not a good idea, cause he wants to limit or ban fishing in these areas.

It is just a start for the feds to limit or ban fishing on most if not all public areas.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, show me where he said that Jack, or is that just a feeling you have? And if you can show me, then to what purpose will it serve? What in the world could any body achieve by banning fishing?

18. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Nearly every word of that so-called "news story" (now THERE'S a stretch!) is twisted or flat out untrue. People actually believe crap like this is factual? Yawn.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  19. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
  20. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Giving more authority and discretion to the Federal Government is NEVER good nor is it necessary. Especially when it is explicitly noted that new policies will be dictated by international laws. There are precious few, if any, federal laws that are passed that do not have underlying motivation that undermines the right of the States to govern themselves in a Constitutional manner. There is NO authority for the federal government to dictate laws to a state or require a state to comply with federal institutions such as the USDA, NAIS, FEMA, Department of Energy and a host of other agencies that promise us safety and well-being in exchange for a tiny piece of our liberty. A tiny piece here, a tiny piece there, and pretty soon we'll start to notice. Bottom line is, things of this nature are happening with alarming frequency. It is not a partisan effort. Republicans and Democrats have been great proponents of federalism for over 100 years. Slowly undoing the very things that made us the greatest nation of free men that the world has likely ever to have seen. While the environment is of utmost importance, it has historically been the outdoorsman who has proven to be the greatest conservationist. They were among the first conservationists. In Arkansas, the White-tailed Deer were hunted almost to extinction in the early 1900's. It was concerned sportsmen that started a movement to protect them and was enormously successful. Across the country, sportsmen/outdoorsmen have been crucial to the conservation of wildlife and the environment, and you won't find a tree hugger who has a greater love of outdoors. The federal government wants to regulate and control our resources in any way possible. Be it our farmland, our crops, our water, our trees, our livestock or our wild game, they want the say-so on all of these things for whatever reason. It's not an isolated incident. A farmer, most likely sees more of this first hand which is sad, because farms our the life-blood of this country. Dang what a ramble. Politics tick me right off. I just wanna go fishing. And legal, or not, I'm gonna go fishing.