Fedor's UFC deal falls through

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by matt22va, Aug 2, 2009.

1. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I just saw that Fedor's manager wouldn't agree to fight in the UFC uless he was given full partership for himself and M-1 global. Obviously Dana White didn't give up 50% of the UFC for one fighter.

2. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    If I was Fedor I would unleash a slew of submission moves on Finkelchtein.:angry:

3. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
  4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    yeah his manager and other members of his team are tools but Fedor really has the final say in it. if he wanted in the ufc then he would be there. don't think he wants it as bad anymore, also think he likes being the big fish in the small ponds. i think he is starting to believe his own hype. there is no sensible reason for him to not fight in the ufc.

5. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    dana would have to be a fool to do that. they've worked hard to get the sport to where they are and to have a guy just wanna jump in like that. no way, and I'm actually loosing respect for fedor because he doesn't seem like he wants to prove himself as the best in the world by fighting the best in the world. to me it seems like he's more worried about getting his pockets fat and that's it. fedor is loosing more that the ufc

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive read that fedor has signed with strikeforce from a couple sources.:sad2:
    From what Ive read he still has 3 fights on his contract with m1, until then he'd be in breach of contract, right? Dont get too old fedor!!! The mma world wants to see you make brock tap!

7. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    he says he wants to fight the best fighters in the world right? well i've got news for him they are in the UFC. he should dominate the fighters in strikeforce but if he somehow loses to one of them what has he gained then. and who is going to plop down good money to watch one of those fights. strikeforce should be leery as well because every organization that has jumped in bed with Fedor and his cronies has ended up folding up shop.

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    yes fedor did sign with strikeforce and I've lost almost complete respect for him. :angry: he would rather go fight 2nd class fighters than prove he's the best in the world. strikeforce has brett rogers fabricio werdum and the current champ alistar overem . which aren't to shabby but they're not brock not mir not couture etc. he's becoming a money hungry coward in my book.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  9. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    IMHO, both mir and couture are overrated, at least as heavyweights. All ufc's got is brock and maybe carwin and just recently has ufc had a hw division with lesnar. Two, maybe, fighters dont make a division. Fedors already beat at least two former ufc heavyweight champs, easily, and big nog twice in his prime. Let fedor complete his CONTRACT and see what happens next. Id hate to know the lawsuit for breaking that contract. Dana has taken chuck liddel to pride to fight, if he's man enough IM sure strikeforce would help put on a mega fight. THis is all coming down to money, imho. Until fedors contract is up its all just speculation.

10. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hell.. if Fedor won't come to UFC maybe Brock just might have to come to him. :wink::cool2:

11. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I don't think that Brock will go any place. When Chuck went over, Pride was competing fairly well. No one is competing with UFC now. Going into the MMA business in the U.S against the UFC is suicide, Dana White has 85% of the top talent, at least. Fedor vs Lesnar would bring the highest sales in MMA pay per view history. Why would Dana do that, when all he has to do is wait and strike force will go under. I read that Fedor was part owner of M-1. I don't know if that's true, I knew his manager was. If he is and that is his investment, I can see him sticking with it. I just don't see any one creating a buzz around strike force like the UFC has. Every pay per view event they will have, Dana will counter with a pay per view event on that same day with fighters of the same popularity as Fedor, Like when he put Silva on against affliction. If strike force puts a card out without Fedor, He will give us a free show on spike, once again with better quality fighters. He will put them out of business, then we will have another chance to see the fight we want.

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

mir and couture are overrated? are you serious? couture is the greatest heavyweight champ of all time hands down. Mir has the best bjj in the heavyweight division along with nog. yes fedor did beat nog in his prime but as everyone knows nog is not a stand up fighter and his chin has always been questionable. I'll agree that the heavyweight division has been weak in the past few years as to talent coming through it's been the same guys fighting but NOBODY in strikeforce is going to test fedor he's going to get his pockets fat and promote his co-ownership in m-1 and don't forget about other heavyweights that always stand a chance gabriel gonzaga, cheick kongo, and cain velasquez. Shane Corwin isn't the only one left. couture is a freak and to say he's overrated is a slap in the face.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  13. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Couture's record speaks for itself, what is he 16-9? He had to win by decision against tito and tim sylvia??? Not the record of a great heavyweight much less the greatest. Heck he's lost a few to light heavy's. Greatest hw champ of all time? Dont get me started on mir either, his losses to ian freeman, marcio cruz and brandon vera dont look too good on the resume. Great upset over brock though, maybe we'll get to see a rubber match.

Id give brett rodgers, yeah i know, a punchers chance against fedor but yeah your right theyre aint much competition in strikeforce. Its all about money, sf gave him what they wanted. Maybe after this contract we'll get to see the super fight. Only guy in ufc I see giving fedor problems is brock and carwin. Carwin has a punchers chance against anyone. Even couture left the ufc over contract disputes, might be something to the negotiations after all. Good for fedor that he's co-owner of a promotion and makes some serious money.

14. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    You guys both make great points. I have been a huge Fedor fan, but I'm starting to think he is more of a Businessman for M-1 than a fighter. Now that the WWE craze is over and we are realizing how good Brock is as a wrestler, how fast he is, combined with the incredible strength, I think Fedor doesn't really want any. Fedor has a huge fan following, like myself, that will continue to watch him and most will consider him the top heavy weight. Like when Tyson fought all those chumps, we loved it, 1:30 second knock outs, he's a bad man. Fedor is considered the Man, Look at everything he and M-1 global has to lose if he comes to the UFC and gets man handeled by Brock, this is why Brock won't be able to go to him. He likes being this great fighter, and letting us all wonder what would happen while he continues to rake in money off of popularity alone. I must say though on the earlier argument, Coutoure is old, not exactly overrated, but out of date. Mir is in my top 5 for heavy weights, not overrated at all. He is just too overpowered by Brock.

15. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    if M-1 was so great and a money maker Fedor would not need to go anywhere else and have someone else pay him. M-1 is a joke and at this point so is fedor's reputation. he likes being the big fish in the small ponds.

16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

I couldn't agree with you more, as well as the other comment about couture is old not overrated. he still held that title at 40 years old and held the title on several different occassions through his career. yeah he's lost but you can't win em all. Name one heavyweight champion with more accomplishments than couture or has held the time as many times? As much as I like Fedor he's dodging the ufc and brock to get his pockets fat plan and simple. I don't blame him but it sucks for all of us TRUE fans of the sport.

17. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Good point about couture being old, he's like what 45? Still he lost 2 of his first 6 fights in mma, there goes the being old excuse, imho. Mir has 3 losses against some who was its? Greats just shouldnt have that many losses!! Fedor is what 30-1-1 and Id put an asterisk next to the one loss, weird rule where you bleed you lose. He's embarassed the same ufc hw champ couture had to take to decision to beat for the title. It might be a smart thing for fedor to fight in the cage a few times before lesnar tries to push his face thru it. I really dont believe we'll ever know the real contract details. Until his contract is up with his management ill give him the benefit of doubt. I still smell lawsuit if he dumps his management and goes against their wishes. I want to see the lesnar-fedor fight too!!! Pure muscle, rage and intensity against discipline, intelligence and technique, hopefully in a year or two we'll get to find out.

18. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    ok so let's put it like this, since roy jones jr has more than one loss and ali has more than one loss that doesn't make them the best to ever fight in their division? not to mention couture held belts in 2 different divisions. Like jones jr? and when fedor fought all of those ex ufc champions they were past their prime and fighting in a 2nd class organization to pay their bills. couture fought them either in their prime or close to it? I'm not knocking fedor I'm a fan but he lost much respect for this decision.

19. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Good points, perhaps I should have focused on winning percentages. Ali and jones are like 50+ wins - 5 losses. Couture is 16 wins - 9 losses with 2 losses in his first 6 fights to me negates the age thing. Mir is like 12-4, percentage wise you do the math. Also look at who they lost to and in what division. Id give the edge to fedor in win percentage and who he's fought. Ali, jr, fedor and give brock time are greats, maybe even legends. Fighters with 25%+ lossing percentage aint, imho. Sylvia and aa definetly overrated before fedor beat em, tells ya something about the ufc hw division for a long time. Fedor came up in pride, just like a silva, we lost true mma when ufc bought pride. Long live strikeforce.:wink:

20. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

pride is where all of the true killers have come from I oved pride and yes it was true mma!! your right look at anderson silva hendo wanderlai silva nog etc I could keep going but I agree with you 100% on that but a lot of the fights fedor had were against 2nd class fighters at that time with a completely different rules to get that 30-1 record. He fought ex champions that had beaten and lost their edge perfect example is andrei arlovsky he was a beast destroying everyone in the hwy division until he lost hasn't been the same since. fedor didn't fight any current champions all he fought was what was in pride and that's where the ex champs from the ufc went to get their bills paid during their time.