Federal Nyclad's

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by bootshowl, Sep 4, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Does anyone have the skinny on why Federal quit making the Nyclad loads for pistol rounds. They had a 38 Special load that was THE load for the snubnose guns. I've ask and can't find anyone that has a clue. They just stopped making em. I thought it was excellent. Good expansion and penetration....and they had other rounds also. Anyone remember? I know I'm asking the older guys. Seems like they'd be the answer for the lead worried folks also. Just always been curious, and miss them.
    For you kids, they were a lead HP with a blue coating, the nyclad, as they called it.

2. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I was told that they had to stop because with the teflon coating they would go through Body Armor. Called Cop Killers! At least thats what I was told....Jeff :)

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    For wifes Lady Smith, I buy Cor Bon 38 SPEC +P+ 125GR JHP, 1125 FPS.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i don't know about the nyclads, but that blue moly coating is on some of the loads from berger. i don't know a lot about them, just saw it in an ad.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    alright boots i just did a search on it. i was thinking they were the moly coated rounds, but they had the blue nylon coating that prevented lead deformation. as far as i could see, they haven't been available since 2003. they were designated by federal as a law enforcement only round, although they aren't at all illegal for a regular citizen to posess. i went on the ammo bank to find this out, and another handgun forum. hope it helps!

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The teflon coating had them labeled as "cop killer" bullets. They wouldn't penetrate a vest because they would expand. But, with the teflon coating on it, it made it illegal in many states. The coating would also strip off occasionally, leaving strips in the bore.

Actually, the number one stopper in the 38 special, is still the old FBI load, 158grn +P semi wadcutter hollow point. The FBI did alot of research and testing to come up with that load. The lead is soft, and it expands well for a 38. I believe you can get it in Winchester and Federal, Winchester being the one the FBI settled on for issue.

The Winchester FBI load is still the one I carry in my 38. Even if it doesn't expand, you still have a good bullet in the SWC.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks Jordan, knew someone would study it thru...I'm not good on the puter stuff. Another classic case of the politicians not knowing exactly what they are voting on. Heck of a round...still have a few.
    Vince I think the second choice is the semi wadcutter in plus P. Knew the cops in Philly were still using them. I didn't realize the FBI even still carried snubs. Backups? Golly, think if I was a cop I'd carry two in this day an age. The fastest reload has always been a second gun, LOL.
    Still wish we could load our own for our carry guns. Hate to spend $15+ for a box of 20 just cause of a lawyer....but so be it.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    politicians always get in the way, because they have the anti's in their pocket. like the old black talons, they were a freakin awesome round if i say so myself! they had awesome penetration, expansion and weight retention that was unheard of at the time. the problem with them, according to the anti's, was that the inside of the petal upon expansion was kind of a ridge, making it supposedly 'more lethal'. the idea was to create a bigger wound channel. any hunter knows that a softpoint centerfire hunting round does not need such a feature to up its killing power. any hunter also knows that if you get hit wearing a 'bulletproof' vest with any old .30-06 load even at 100 yards, you will be wearing your insides on your back before you pile up on the ground. but this bit of fact does nothing to sway the anti's or the politicians that cater to them, they only wake up and connive to nickel and dime us out of our second ammendment rights, a little at a time. they learned a long time ago they couldn't take them all at once.

i'll get off the box now. sorry about your nyclads boots.:embarassed:

9. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    m uncle does hand-loading and last i saw him he had a pile of the nyclads. he loves them and cant get anymore. talk about mad. lol

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Realistically though, there's other ammunition now that takes the place of the old stuff we loved so much, and actually performs better in some cases. There are some improvements with technology, they just get a little carried away with it now and then.

I've been to several ballistic workshops were all types of ammo in different calibers were shot into mediums through all kinds of barriers. Hands down, the Speer Gold Dot in pretty much all of the calibers was the most consistent expander and penetrator. The 38 special 125 grain load with the gold dot bullet pretty much duplicates the nyclad load, and is actually more consistent as far as expansion goes. I'm sure that in another 10 or 20 years, they'll have something else that might do better, but for now, the Gold Dot is really hard to beat in any caliber.