Federal Cuts take a toll on local lakes

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bwhupp, Feb 14, 2008.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    http://www.bnd.com/426/story/255793.html

Doesn't look good for us campers. A lot of money cutbacks is causing some camping areas to close or not even open this year. Rend and Carlyle are taking a big hit.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Bryan for the info. This makes me angry because I know without a doubt that some pork barrel projects has caused a shift in money.

3. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    Thanks Bryan, Our taxes go up and the services go down....

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Mickey, you hit the nail on the head. They divert this money to other areas, many of which are a complete waste. Why not spend money on something that is GOOD for the community?

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    maybe we should show our dissaproval by camping wherever the heck we want. before i had my boat i used to go out to all the closed down campgrounds to bank fish just cause i knew there would be noone there.:boss:

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That would fall under the catagory of "To much like right" and Heaven forbid if that would happen. Just how do you close a public campground anyway? Lets see camp grounds full, people spending money for them and other stuff, but, can not open camp grounds because of no money? :beat_plaster:

7. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    I can speak for the camp grounds at Carlyle Lake being extremely crowded, especially on holidays. It really ticks me off to see more campgrounds closed or limited at Carlyle since South Shore has been closed for a number of years. At the same time I can drive by the many new bike trails that are being paved and bridges built for them at an alarming rate and see very little activity by users. There seems to be alot of funds going into the wrong areas by the looks of things.

8. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    Last week I was talking to a park ranger who works at Starved Rock. He said they are understaffed and can't hire anyone, even summer help is cut way back. I always remember if you wanted to rent a room at the lodge or a cabin you had almost a years wait. Where is all the money going? :doubt:

9. Migrator83

Migrator83 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    That really sux....I camp at rend or carlyle just about every weekend. I dont know why they would do that. Everytime we are there, the campgrounds are just about always 3/4 full to full. Just dont make sense to me.

10. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    I am disgusted with the cutbacks!! It is going to be next to impossible to find a camping spot at Rend Lake.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I would bet at $4 a gallon for that "summer" fuel there will be alot of open spots.

12. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    u might b correct!!!

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky