Fed Up!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Deepwater1, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    I'm totally fed up with these weather fronts comming through every week and confusing these catfish. I haven't been fishing for a while and had a good bite going on.

I'm thinking that Lake Monticello might be less effected, than Murray and Greenwood, since it doesn't have a river running thru it and water level fluctuates daily, catfish are used to it.

Has anyone fished Lake Monticello recently? I'm thinking I may try it around the middle of week, or I may just stay in bed all week. :confused2: Wife says all I do is eat, sleep, and fish. What's wrong with that? Weather forecast looks the same as it has for the last few weeks, rain the last of the week and sunny midweek. The high/low pressure fronts sure have things messed up. :crazy:

2. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree, poor fish don't know to bite or not. Something is going on cause the fish we caught is fater than a butterball. I guess they done found them a steak house. Let me know if you do good at Monty

3. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    No problem Dean, I'll post for sure, but I sure would like to hear a report from someone this weekend though. Hate driving 140+ miles to the lake and catfish having lockjaw, but it's all part of the game. :confused2: :big_smile:

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ya, the bite has gone to hell in a gas coated handbasket the last half of this month.

This month started out great for me. IN the first three weeks I had 54, 40, 43, 44, 44, 36, 33, 30, 22, 23, and two 25 pound fish, and many in the teens.

Towards the end of the month the bite started falling off sharply. This seemed to be widesread around the region based on fishing reports from other anglers. I was thinking moon phase, but three of my best days earlier in the the month were around the full moon. The weeks following that full moon continued to produce big fish as the moon waned.

Around the 4th week of the month, once water temps dropped into the 40's, both the big fish and the smaller fish became increasingly hard to catch. This week the big fish bite is gone and even the smaller fish are hard to come by.

Some folks have blamed the rain and high water, but the fish I caught early in the month were during high muddy water that was moving through the system. We have had current all month.

The one thing I found that changed dramatically was the water temperature this month. On December 1st I was fishing in 59-60 degree water. Today the lake water was 44-45 degrees. That's a 15 degree change in a month. Looking at the weather forecast it is going to get even worse and we will probably see lake temps drop into the lower 40's by next week.

In time the fish will adjust to the cold and begin to feed again, but perhaps with not as much vigor as they did earlier in the month. So, a note for next season; get out and enjoy that last bit of 55-65 degree water in December!

5. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Dieter, as Dean said earlier, the few fish we are catching are still really fat. They're eating somthing pretty regularly. I wish I knew where they find their steakhouse. I think a large part of the problem might be the constantly changing baromertic pressure. It has them really messed up. I know it really effects saltwater fish badly, so I think it would freshwater fish also.

The colder water would push the fish to deeper areas and they would bite slower and probably softer, but still bite. You mark fish, but these fish just aren't biting.

I'm just hoping Monty isn't as messed up as the others. Otherwise, I might just have to stay home and do yard work. :sad2: :confused2: :confused2:

6. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I could just take Seth down to the lake, put the full enclosure on the boat and let him spend 24 hrs on the water and report back as to when they are eating:wink: We are going to Wateree in the morning to try, but you have me curious about Monty. Haven't heard any reports myself

7. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    where is david at when we need him. he always has the monty report.:smile2:

8. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Curt, we fished Monty on the 5th and caught 17 ( acouple good ones but the rest 15 and smaller). Went back on the 26th and didnt catch but 8 ( a 21, 4 in the mid teens, and the rest 4-6 pounds). Almost all were caught on gizzards on both trips.All but 1 caught drifting 30-60ft. Found them at the upper end on the 5th and down torwards the plant on the 26th. The fishing at Monty must be on fire cause thats the onlytimes I have ever fished there and if I can catch a few they must really be biting:smile2:

9. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I went to monty earlier in the week and the bite was slim to none ,but alot of that had to do with the wind being brutal and way to varible for my taste.

10. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Ha ha there is nothing to report unless you would like for me to tell ya that it sucks....:smile2: I winterized my boat till feb/march!!! 3 weeks ago the fish was slowing down got a 34 and a 28 then a few teens...... I have fished 5 times in the last 3 weeks with not even a nibbled, drifted and achored in 100ft-5ft bait used shad, bream, and herring.... Also there was about 20 bass boats last weekend they brought 2 fish to the weigh in, now for the kicker 2 boats perch fishing came in empty handed not a single perch...... The water is very stained now also...

Attached Files:

11. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    This time of the year i know a few guys that go down and fish from the bank. Haven't heard from them yet. They fish at night and build a big bond-fire. Seems they usually chose spots across the lake from the hot-hole. They pull some hogs out on some nights. Seems in the past i usually choose the wrong nites:big_smile: I did manage a 20lb'er one night but nothing like the one's they claim.

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yall think that the threadfin shad kill from the old water temps are the reason the fish are fat and not hungry?

13. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    May be Ronald cause they eating somewhere. I also noticed that when you do find them (or at least the day i went) they were bunched in certain areas. If you ride outside that area.......nothing........and the bite was slow even though there seem to be plenty of fish. I blamed it on Seth and he blamed it on Donnie who blammed it on the full moon.:eek:oooh:

14. Deepwater1

Deepwater1 New Member

State:
    Toccoa, GA
    Hey Dean, don't forget December was a blue moon month. Good thing it only happens once in a blue moon. LOL :wink: :wink: