Feather beds/Straw Beds

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mickey, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    When growing up as a small child I was introduced to feather beds. The first time I slept in one I thought, that I was falling down deep in a hole. I went o stay all night with my grandparents one weekend and the bed they put me in had a feather bed mattress to sleep on and another for the cover. I never like the feather bed since that day. I also heard them tell stories about straw beds. Do you have any stories about these early day mattresses?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My grandparents had a feather bed with a feather comforter also. I liked it ,BUT the first time it was like being swallowed by a huge monster,:smile2:
    Seemed like you never could climb out of that deep hole.

3. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Never knew about feather or straw beds, but we still have an old feather pillow; it stinks. One of my pillows is an old feather pillow I think, but it doesn't smell, so I dunno.

4. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I remember sleeping on my grandmothers feather bed and the once and a while a little bitty feather would work its way through and stick me. Except for that it was very soft and comfortable. A little too soft for me now. But as a kid nice on a cold, cold night.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    God Mickey!!! I had all but forgotten them days. Being from eastern Ky and 1 day older than dirt . There were people in this area that were less fortunate that used corn shucks for matress filling. They called them shuck beds.:wink: When ya went to bed you lay real still or they would wake you up rattling.

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Oh, I absolutely loved to visit my Grandmother in Ky. She too had a feather bed. The greatest thing since the wheel!:big_smile: So comfy..so soft..so easy to fall asleep in.

I would love to have a feather lawn chair for fishing, but I would lose too much gear when I fell asleep.:wink:

7. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It's a low price to pay! Those things used to poke the hell out of me...but it was well worth it.

8. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It would have taken longer to fill, but they should have bypassed the shucks and went with the silk.:big_smile:

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My grandmother had a feather mattress, I loved that thing, when she passed away I got the mattress, but it was so old the cloth was falling apart, so my mother made everyone feather pillows out of it. I still have that pillow, I have had it 30 years now, and cant sleep without it. I even brought it over with me to Afghanistan....:crazy: it will roll up and fit in my day pack pretty good, and has been all over this country.....

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    :smile2: Feather pillows were all I had up till I got married. I've slept on feather mattresses many times when visiting family up in the mountains (when i was a kid). The wife and I sleep under a down comfortwer in the wintertime now.

Can't say I have any fond memories of those feather mattresses. I like the firm mattress I sleep on now, thank you.

11. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I remember feather mattress and pillows too. I have a pillow that belonged
    to my Grandmother and it has had new pillow ticking put on it I know
    three times.

12. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    my granny had a feather mattress in her spare bedroom----i loved that mattress as a kid. soft mattresses now, kill my back.

13. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have slept on a feather pillow and under a down comforter.. Nice, comfy, and warm! Never heard of feather mattresses.

14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Oh, you have no idea what you are missing.:smile2:

If you like the pillows, you would be in heaven with the matress.

15. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Yeah we have the down comforter and the feather pillows..pretty nice

16. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    im allergic to the dang things:angry: