favorite winter bait

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by tunnel hull, Jan 20, 2009.

1. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    i like un cooked /raw shrimp flavored;GARLIC what does everybody use?

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Depends on what water, but generally shad, whole or cut myself.

By the way Welcome

3. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    i have problem whit shad staying on hook what am i doing wrong?

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well I don't know, how are you hooking them, are you using whole shad or cut? If using the head I like to run the hook just above the eyes (side to side) through the tough part above their eye area, and cut bait I run it also side to side through the skin and out again, always making sure to pick the scales off the hook point before casting out...... never really had any problem losing shad, usually have to rip it off to put on fresh bait. I can't find the thread but if you browse around in the library section on here I believe there are some photo's of different ways folks fish their live or cut bait rigs.

5. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    using whole shad but it has been frozen

6. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    hooking thur eye then back thur body

7. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    Frozen shad gets real mushy and is very difficult to work with. Not very user friendly. Fresh shad you won't have a problem with.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep, once frozen it is pretty much worthless, or from my years trying to figure different ways to keep it, as said, just turns mushy for the most part.

9. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    man since i have been usin carp their aint no turnin back unless i can get skips but carp is just as oilly as skipjack andmore abundant in the waters i fish and fyi big heads have made it in to baldwin :angry:

10. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    How do you do it?scale, fillet,cut into peices ?.....DOES it freez?

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well how would that happen? did it flood over somewhere? or someone tossing their old bait/fish into it? That is VERY VERY bad for a SMALLER IMPOUNDMENT Like that.......

12. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois

seen them in their and then had a chance 2 put a arrow through one and took it to the idnr site supervisors house to show mic that they were in their and it wasn't me just runnin my mouth lol they r comin in at the cold water spillway from the kaskaskia :angry:

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    yep, that sure does suck to say the least..... frig'n Asians..... ya sure would have thought they would have put fencing or something up to try and stop that, I don't know, but I sure hope one day soon they come up with a way to eradicate them damn things!

14. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois

their is a fence but it's chain link so small ones can get through me and mic the supervisor are lookin for ways to stop them their thinkin about closin the lake for a couple days to shock the lake to see how many r in their but that won't be til later in the yr and a little late :angry:

15. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes it would be great to find a way to stop them. Will mankind ever stop trying to improve what the creator made. Good luck in your endeavor. Keep us posted.

Wooly

16. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    belive in shad guts ..nothing like getting practice on the old casting net.:cool2:

17. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i believe that shad guts are truly a great winter bait so far.