favorite white bass spawn lure/jig

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by katzilla, Mar 1, 2009.

1. katzilla

katzilla New Member

State:
    TX
    The whites are about to start spawning here in Texas. Because of time restrictions (writing a true crime book), I plan on fishing 3 lightweight reels with minnows but it's fun fishing for whites with lures. What's your personal favorite:?

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Here in the Illini when they are on, I personally like either a lime Green triple ripple grub on a sickle hook jig, or a black and chrome mini-trap with the front hook removed and a strait J-hook added on the rear in place of the trebble.... fast action and fast fish removal :wink: Can't hardly wait for them to start!

3. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Sassy shad or grub on a 1/4 oz jig head. Or live threadfin shad. LOL

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

:crazy: You have got to be kidding me!? A sassy Shad?! and Grubs, with a side of threadfin, he asked about bait not lunch on yer boat :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

5. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I've caught more white bass than I can count on chrome spoons.

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    white plastic grubs, white roostertail spinner, or a white bodied beetle spin.

7. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    1/2 oz. chrome rattle trap for me.

8. flounderman

flounderman New Member

State:
    Blaine, Washington
    When I fished for White Bass I would use SLABS, 3/8oz spinner baits and FAT GITZITS all in WHITE.

9. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    no no no yall got it all wrong its all about the small rapala x-raps or a heddon torpedo

10. The_Black_Cat

The_Black_Cat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a (i think) 1/2 oz. white road runner when they first start running, and after that i use a......... well it's called a "Little George" it actually looks like a spinner bait. Chrome will do just fine.

11. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Heading out Monday morning for Cedar Creek Lake with a friend. I've never been there but they use a front runner with a 18 inch leader tied to it with a chrome slab on the leader.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't have any idea what the most productive lure for white bass is, but the most fun is catching them topwater, which means a topwater lure. The best topwater lure for white bass was a homemade one consisting of a bass plug and a fly rod popper for bream. First, take a large popper, like a Lucky 13 or a Dalton Special and attach 6" of light piano wire to the rearmost hook hanger. You may either leave or remove the back treble hook; we always left ours on. Form a loop at the back of the wire. Attach some 15#-20# mono to a white fly rod popper, then tie the mono to the loop on the back of the wire, so that the popping bug is about 4" behind the back end of the wire. These distances are more important if you leave the back treble hook attached, because they keep the fly rod popper from being able to swing forward and tangle with the treble hook. Don't know what it is, but there's just something about that little white popper following the big popper that drives the whites nuts; sometimes it does the same thing for largemouth bass. We'd try to be on the water by dawn, then cast for largemouth bass while watching the surface for white bass feeding on top. We'd often take the first white caught and attach a balloon with 10'-15' of light mono, and let it go. Then all we had to do to keep track of the school was to follow the bouncing balloon.