favorite varmint rig

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by roondad, Apr 29, 2009.

1. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    what is or was your favorite long range varmint rig? mine was a ruger #1v in .220 swift several years ago about 25 to be exact I owned a tackdriver, but since I was moving to illinois from colorado I sold it. major regrets been thinking about getting a new rig, looking for advice or opinions. thanks.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Al,I'll post a pic of mine tomorrow,Its an antique ,:wink: model 788 rem in .223 6-24x40 ao target scope,20" midweight bbl,bipod, and a trigger job.

3. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    thanks, right now I am thinking of trading away a ranch rifle for a long range set up, being an antique myself I probably will be looking for a used rifle in gun or pawnshops.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Savage 110 in .22-.250 bul barrel with laminated stock 6 x 24 scope

Savage 110 in .308 bull barrell w/ John Plaster ultimate sniper stock 8 X 40 scope

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    In open country I like my Rem 700 in 22-250 with a 4x12 Leupold. Around home where its mountains and timber the shooting is a little closer and I like my 223 Steven with a 3x9 Leupold on it.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i like my CZ 550 Varmit. Mine is chambered in .308 but they also come in 22-250. it has a bull barrel, set trigger, and i have it topped with a Burris 3x9x40 scope. the scope came as a package with a 20x50 spotting scope, and i love this setup. i like it because it is accurate enough to take out prarie dogs @ 400 yards but can also knock down the occassional coyote from 600. you can check them out @ czusa.com

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Man, Not having the ThankYou trigger really makes me appreciate having one,,,

But, Thanks!! to all posts above..
    I own a CZ Safari Mag in .375 H&H, not the ususal varmit rig, but, it's quite a rifle.. it's set up with Quick detach scope, set trigger, folding rear leaf sights, deep belly mag..
    They sure seem to make a Great rifle ,, bang for your buck,, and all.

However, I have an old Herters .22-250 bolt action that works pretty good for varmits.

8. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    i got a sweeeeet savage also chambered in .308, its got the Harris quick detach bipod and mounted on top of it is a Nikon 8-32-60 scope. Yea i know the scope is a little much but it gets the job done waaaaaay out there. When people see my rifle the first question most ask is what part of the military am i in. It looks a lot like the ones they issue for beginning marksman.

9. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    hey guys I want to thank you for the posts but the button is gone, I see some of you are fellow jarheads oorah! it is interesting to see the 308's is there a bullet weight you prefer? thanks again guys!

10. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i preffer the 168 grain rounds for my .308. they hold more consistent for me on the long shots. Hornady makes a great .308 round in the BTHP Match rounds or the A-MAX rounds. these are very accurate and extremely consistent.

11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    In my .308 I use 148 gr. FMJ. I had several hundred rounds left over from the sheriff's dept. In my .22-.250 I use 55 gr HP from Hornady.

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Sorry Folks,
    I got me one them thar heal toe butt busters, 300 weatherby magnum with a real looking glass that hasnt missed!

150 grn nos par weatherby magnum, 6.5 x 20 x 44 mm, IFR rec mil-dot scope!

Id like to say a thing about using the trigger finger, you got to tickle the trigger.:wink:

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Rem 700 in .270 until I get my DPMS Sweet Sixteen in 5.56

14. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Remington Model 700 SPS Varmint. 26" Bull Barrell, .22-250 Rem.
    6x24x Tactical mil-dot Burris Scope, Harris Bipods. My back up gun is my DPMS Custom AR-15.:wink:

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    In my opinion you cant beat a 22-250 for varmints.

16. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    150 grain 7mm mag it gets the job done and they don't live to tell about it for sure

17. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like my Ruger Mark 11 bull barrel 22.250. It is a sweet gun. If anyone in central Mo would want to buy it I would sell it. I'm going to purchase an AR 15 so I could use the cash.

18. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Depending on where and what I am hunting:
    Marlin 917 17hmr w/ cheap 3x9x40 scope
    Winchester M70 22-250 w/ bushnell banner 6x18x50 scope
    Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull ( a little overkill for varmints but it's more about the fun factor with this thing)
    Mossberg 835 w/ 3.5" 00 buck for the thick stuff

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Pics coming,got lost in the transit,:smile2:

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Heres my "antique" she's only 30 :smile2:

Attached Files: