Favorite type of spot for big blue catfish on the Missouri?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Seth, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    What's your favorite type of spot to fish for big blues on the Missouri? I've targetted deep scour holes behind dykes the few times I've been out this year, but haven't even got a nibble on live and cut perch.

2. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    any clay bank i can find.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    The head of outside bends-wherever you can find good cover or some decent ledges.

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Behind the dikes with slots fishing around the slot. Deep inside bends with trail dikes fish right next to the trail dikes. Night time any good sand flat with a deep hole behind it next to the channel

5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Seth, if you have a GPS look for and mark the channel edges, then drift over your marked line and you should paint some fish… any type of vertical structure will attract them and when a large rock or currant break is present in such a location it will concentrate them… also keep in mind the bait factor, with the water dropping the shad should start to hold behind the wing dikes. Check out the first and last dikes in a series… mussels will be spawning the beginning of August so hit the flats between the dikes cause that will be the cafeteria… from now till Sept. work the sand bars as was mentioned… remember to do selective harvest. :wink:

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I like spots with water:smile2: Sorry, couldn't resist. Yeah, what these guys said. I have noticed I don't catch many fish but most of them that I do catch are 20# or better. I'm pretty sure that's because I suck at fishing and just blunder into them occasionally, but it also could be that spots that hold bigger fish won't necessarily hold smaller ones. More current, etc, might be a factor. Point of all that is that a big part of spot selection depends on what you're wanting to do - stay busy or catch big fish. Or you could become the Zen master like Rat and do both:wink:

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    LMAO!!!! Thanks Branden!! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

The one thing I would suggest is this, don't be afraid to fish strong current. This year I have fished some really strong current (20oz or better to hold on bottom) and have landed some really nice pigs! I also dropped some coin on a decent fish finder to assist me in seeing these hogs in that deep fast current.

When I do mark a bunch of fish in that deep current, I will stay set up on those fish for quite a while waiting for them to get to my bait. It has certainly paid off so far.

8. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    hey, look for a place where they load grains onto barges, then fish all around it. blues love a free meal. guys around here target those areas here on the mississippi

9. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO

Wow Rat 20oz or better. :eek:oooh: I dont' recall a time when I have ever had current that strong that I required 20oz to hold the bottom. Maybe I wasn't holding the bottom and I thought I was. Thanks for the advice nevertheless. Much appreciated.

10. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I know when DWB and I went fishing a couple Sundays back, I had spots were 16oz's would not hold:confused2:, guess i should have just put on more weight.

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    :big_smile::smile2::big_smile:

12. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I like Down river of wing dikes and sand bars and rock piles

13. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    For the late afternoon bite, I'm a big fan of the bridge pillars, high or low water, especially the pillars closest to the channel. Most of my biggest blues and all of my daytime bigger blues have been have been from the first 10 ft in front of the pillar where the scour hole begins. Evening and nights I get around to all those other areas mentioned in earlier posts.

14. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Always fun Getting hammerd out till 2am and staying up till 5am to meet someone for the first time and going out on the river for the first time and they ancor in front of a pillar :roll_eyes::wink: p.s dont stare at the water :smile2:

15. beagle777

beagle777 New Member

State:
    Il
    Sounds like you might have been doing some unplaned chumming.:tounge_out:

16. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Sounds like I need to just spend time on the river graphing instead of fishing. Thanks for all of the tips. I think I need to invest in some heavy lead because Rat says so! :smile2:

17. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    My fav spot is around rock dikes with wind dikes attached to them and the current makes a eddie there.... i got a spot around my house thats 51ft deep...

They pulled a 72lb blue 3 weeks ago and its nothing to catch 35+ or fresh herring..

Im learning blues love current due to thats were the bait fish are.