favorite turkey call

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by misterwhisker, Jan 17, 2009.

favorite turkey call

1. Box Call

2. Slate

3. Mouth Call

4. other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    whats is your favorite call ??

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    My favorite calls are wingbone yelpers, I also have several box calls that I have made that I like very well. When the wind is up big I like to use a diaphragm call.

3. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    my favorite would have to be the mouth call, cause i can call as loud or as softas i want,great for those rainy days also, but i alwas carry different types to sound like a flock of birds at times

4. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    My choice would have to be by far a diaphram call. In particular the Primos Diamond Cutter. I love the sound of this call, but I always have about 10 different calls on me at any given time, in case the bird wants to be picky lol. The way I figure its their last time for that gobler to strut his stuff, so the least I can do is let him pick the call he likes. lol

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I mainly use a diaphram but also use an Ole yeller slate with a wingbone striker. I carry a gobble box but very seldom use it. May cutt with it to locate but thats about it. I like both hands on my 870 if a bird is 100 yards or closer.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a four pack of diaphram calls by primos ,I like them,But my hands down favorite is my HS strut LIL Deuce with a carbon fiber striker.

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I voted slate, but actually mine's crystal. I have a McCloughlin Custom Game Calls Raspy Red that I like real well along with Woodhaven bell tip and straight tip strikers. I also carry an ol yeller slate, a Lynch's 101 box, and Quaker Boy mouth calls. A hooter and crow for locators.
    I like to double up callin (mouth and pot) before the flydown. I'll purr and cluck the crystal or slate while yelping the mouth call. After they hit the ground its game time, gun up, mouth call, gentle clucks, purrs, and real soft yelps, very sparingly, just enough to keep em headed into the decoys. Once they see the decoys its quiet time.

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I love slate calls, and box calls. I would have voted them number one but, they seem to go to crap in wet weather. It seems every time in the morning out here there is a thick dew. Here in MO the weather in the spring can go from, 80's in the evening to 40's at night. So there is always a thick dew or a rain storm in the morn. I just like a mouth call, it makes everything easier.

9. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I would have to agree with you about it always being wet in MO during the spring. I mainly use mouth calls, but I also use a Quaker Boy Hurricane Box call. Its waterproof, and I have no troubles using it as long as its not pouring out.

10. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i like my slate the best

11. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    Box calls are hard to beat

12. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I have used and built every type of call. I stated the wingbone yelper in a previous post because it is the most exotic in todays world. It is also the most versatile and true sounding call of all of the calls I make. The next most versatile would be a diaphragm, and there are many good ones out there that I like. After the wingbone yelper, a good box call would be the sweetest sounding of the others. I love to spring turkey hunt, and all calls have their place. My suggestion would be the same as in fishing, use what you have confidence in and it will produce for you.

13. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I bring just about every kind of call in the woods with me, but 99% of the time I either user my box or mouth call. They just always seem to get the birds riled up :smile2:

14. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    If I was only able to take 1 call to the woods it would be a diaphram. No other call has the versatility of a diaphram. You can go from soft tree purrs to hard cutting with the same call. Its also a better call for "throwing" your turkey voice to make it seem to the bird that his "hen" is further away than it really is. Also once the bird is committing, there is no movement with a diaphram.

That being said, I do take multiple calls with me to the woods. I love my "Triple Threat" call. Its nice to have a slate, glass, and aluminum right in 1 call. The only problem is I manage to forget which pocket I put the different strikers in all the time:smile2:

I love my box call but it takes too much movement to work it when the birds are close to make it my only choice. Also, its not a good choice when the weather is less than dry. There are companies making "waterproof" box calls but I have yet to find one that sounds better than a chicken getting strangled.

15. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I usually use a box call to get them coming in, then i shoulder the gun and let out contented purrs and light yelps with my diaphram call.

16. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would like to learn how to do the mouth call and believe me I have tried but I sound like a rooster that was trying to breed a porcpine

17. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    It just take a lot of practice believe me, I made some crazy noises when I first started out. :crazy:

18. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    I like all of em, different times call for different calls, but if I had to choose just one, I would prolly pick my slate call. Im just really getting good at using a mouth call.

19. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I use a slate call till the bird starts getting close then I switch over to diaphram with soft cluck and purrs.