Favorite Top Water Lure and how you fish it?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by QuincyFisher, Apr 26, 2006.

1. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    Well a few weekends ago I went down to Bass Pro Shop in St.Louis. I bought this new lure called the TopKnocker. It has a steel ball in it that rocks back and forth making a tremendous noise you can hear from 50yds away. When its in the water its head sticks out the and the butt is pointed at an angle towards the bottom of your fishing hole. You can either walk the dog with it or make short twitches with it. At first I had some trouble with it, but once I figured out the right technique I've been murdering them. My friends were skeptical at first of it also, but once they saw me catch 5 or 6 at 3o'clock in the afternoon they were hooked too. I highly recommend this lure. It also comes in some pretty sweet colors.
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?&mode=article&objectID=28690&catID=&subcatID=0

2. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep i used it real quick befor i had to go to work and in 5 minutes and 5 casts i had hooked 3 nice fish and missed 1

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is nothing that will ever replay the Jitterbug and Hula Popper for top water fishing. Lots of lures out there, but these two have been around since the grand canyon was a gully.

4. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    I've never used a Hula Popper or seen anyone have any luck on it, but Jitterbug is GOD.....

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My favorite top water lure, is the Torpedo.

We simply toss them out preceded by 2 jigs, reel it straight back towards the boat, and tear up the white bass.

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    ffor big bass on top water zara spook is the one i like. i like a black jitterbug at nite. ffor schooling kentuckies i like a tiny torpedo. zara spook walk the dog, jitterbug stop and go , tiny torpedo i fish in a rythem like a top water chuger.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way back when I use to BA, BA BA, Bass fish, I used to love using a floating rapala.

8. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I like a sputter bug, Take the props off of it. Alos a frog is hard to beat for big fish.

9. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    i use the hula popper quite often and catch 14" to 21" largemouth on them.

10. flannelman

flannelman New Member

like Jimmy Huston says, nothin works like a topwater biat by Heddon. my favorite lure it probably a Zara Spook Puppy in a crawfish pattern. a close second would have to be a baby torpedo in baby bass. ive had my best luck with these two lures

11. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a super spook Jr. and it works awesome. I fish it by swimming it like a snake on the top of the water. I was looking in a bass pro magazine and i found a lure made by the same people that make jitter bug, it looks pretty good, its called the crazy critter i think, and it has wing like things that flap on top of the water. it says it is sposed to look like a baby bird and it is great to use at night, i think im going to get me one.

12. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    PS im getting a top knocker also.

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i agree on the hula popper. great lure. another that was great for me was the bagley bang o lure. was about 5 inches long minnow made of balsa wood. throw it out n let it set a few seconds, then twitch it a time or two n hang on!

14. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive always liked hula poppers for bass but id say big zara spookes and big torpedos are my favorite for big stripers and wippers

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've Been Doing Well With The Chug-Bugs Early In The Morning & Also A Silver & Black Floating Rapala Minnow.

Heck, Since You've Been Knockin' 'em Dead With That Lure, I Think I'll Go To The Bass-Pro Here & Pick A Couple Up.

Thanks, Elliot

16. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    My typical top waterl ineup for bass ahs to be rebel popper, torpedo, blood buzzbait from BPS, and any weedless frog or mouse. Never tried the jiterbug or hulahopperm ostly because im poor and spend all my money on gas :angry: but this summer im def investing in them!