Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Favorite # Test?

4K views 37 replies 35 participants last post by  catfishbills 
#1 ·
Personally I Don't fish much River's! Wish I did! What's ya'lls Favorite # Line? I know it's a Pretty loaded Question! But, if you could only choose 1? I mainly fish a Resevoir so I can get away with a Lighter # Line. Personally I'll go with 17# Line P-Line; Berkley; Suffix running Line & Albright knot too 60# Stren High Impact. Mainly 4 casting Distance. Can chunk a lot bigger Bait with the heavier Line. The 17# Help's with the Distance! If you get EM too the Bank and grab the 60# Leader, He's Done; Flattie, Blue Or Channel ! Thank's in Advance. CatfishHntr

#2 ·
On my tournament reels i run 65 lb. power pro. These reels are 3 shimano Calcutta B-CT400BSV's, 1 abu 6600 C4 and 3 abu 6500 C3's. With a little bit of 30 lb. mono for backing i can get 150 yards of 65 lb. power pro on them.

I run 30 lb. premium salt water ande on all my other abu 6000 and 6500's. I use premium salt water ande from small diameter up to 50 lb. test. Is strong, abrasion resistant, and ties strong knots. Weather I'm tournament fishing or recreational fishing it's a line I can count on to get the job done.

I run 40 lb. premium salt water ande on my abu 7000's and my abu 9000.

I use 50 lb. clear premium salt water ande for all my leaders wether i'm tying it to the power pro or the mono main line.

#14 ·
I will say that it is 80lb. Power Pro hands down. This is a line that I can use on almost any water and still be fine. I also use a Lighter 50lb. PP for Lure fishing and 200lb. PP for Salt water applications. When using the 50lb. PP, I also use a 100lb. PP leader of 36in. to Help with those toothy fish!! Yet for all other situations, the 80lb. PP is the line of choice. JMHO!!!!!

HOPPY4

#22 ·
30lb Power Pro on the 6000 and 50lb Pro on the 7000 (Abus). I usually keep 30lb test mono if I want to use it for a leader. Yes, its overkill, until the big one comes along...

#23 ·
My primary catfishing line is Power Pro Hi-Vis gold 65 lb test.

I love the zero stretch factor (More solid hooksets and better sensitivity)...and the stuff will last 3-5 years if you don't expose it to large amounts of rocks. (Which I unfortunately am guilty of most of the time...my river reels get changed every other year...or as needed...whichever comes first)

Secondary line varies...might be 17 lb Stren heavy cover on my bass/wiper rods...Power Pro 20 lb on my white bass/walleye rigs...6 or 8 lb flourocarbon on my crappie and trout poles...4 lb flouro on my perch rods...50 lb Big Game solar or electric blue (for visibility's sake on those long rips) on my spoonbill snagging surf rods....and 40 lb Cajun Red Lightnin' on my flathead rod...or for leader material. (Red is the first color in the spectrum to disappear underwater)

#25 ·
Last year, I used 20# Sufix, but this year I am trying 35# Stren sinking braid. I'll let ya know how it works out.
Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't yet heard of this new product by Stren.

This could be something that would work for the way I "walk" my baits downstream with the current inside the riffles I fish in the Neosho river.

I'll be trying this out myself.

http://www.stren.com/prod.php?k=74727&sk=50685&p=PURSSBFS10-14 (1124546)

http://www.great-lakes.org/reviews/review-09-25-06.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.