favorite self defense round

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by scooter079, Aug 6, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    what do guys think is better in .40 cal for people stoppin the federal hydroshock or the glaser powrball hollow points or if you have a favorite let me know and why

thanks

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Since my array of handguns consists of 22 revolvers. My favorite is a 1 1/8 oz of #6 in a 12 ga gameload. It will devastate in close quarters and not harm anyone in the next room too bad.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    12 ga #4 buck will stop all comers....:wink::smile2:

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    12 gauge brinneke rottweil 600 grain 3 inch magnum slug,.........Thats what I would/will put in em, "OR THROUGH THEM" :smile2::smile2::angry::smile2:

WHY; When most people hear a shotgun pump in the other room they will usually leave before they get any farther. and if they don't........BOOM BOOM through everything. LOL!!!

5. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    ive got federal hydroshock in my pistol but then again ive never shot one thank the lord for that.

6. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yeah guys i agree with the 12ga iv got one under my bed and a 20 on my wifes side but im mainly talking about conceiled carry like for my .40 cal

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I like my little sling shot, knocks em out everytime......hell it even got ol Goliath :wink: :smile2::smile2::smile2:

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'd say the glaser slugs for home defense where you are going to shoot a bad guy at close range with nothing between you and him..they are devastating under those circumstances and will not travel beyond a wall or window and hurt someone else.

9. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yeah thats the safety slug i have the powrball its a lot more of a hot devastating round

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya im with reload. i dont own any hand guns yet. but my 20 single shot or rem 1100 12 would stop most cold dead if needed. :wink: but ide use my #4 steel hi brass to kick the buglers @$$:smile2:

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    My band don't play bars that are that bad .:smile2: At home 3 rounds hibrass num 4 shot will do ! Make sure they fall INSIDE the house or it is still murder .:wink:

12. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    0-0 buck shot or fichette round depening on what gun is the most handy.

13. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Seen what the Glaser will do to a person, they are what I'd use for self defense.

:004:

14. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Glaser for house and home protection and safety reasons.
    Federal Hydro shock for away, especially in the winer time when coats and things are being worn. Two mags one for each load. Aways ready.

15. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My favorite defense "bullet" is the Speer Gold Dot hollow point, which I carry in both .45 and .357 sig. About the Federal hydra-shok, it does not mushroom after going through clothing. We have tested several bullets at work, Federal Hydra-shok, Hornady XTP, Speer Gold Dot. The Gold Dot performed flawlessly in every test we put it through, always upened up as it should have. The hydra-shok will fill up the hollow cavity with clothing material and then fail to mushroom, which it did every time we shot it. The Hornady also did the same thing. Chris

16. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Speer Gold Dot.

17. cockroach

cockroach New Member

State:
    florida
    with a shotgun, 24-28 inch barrel, wrap the front end with about 6-8 inches of white adheave tape. even in the dark the lady of the house can still se the white an will know whitch way it is pointing... in a 38 ora357 you can load 148grian hollow base wad cutters backwards with the large hole up,an seat the bullet level with mouth, don't remember how much power thou. pretty acurate out to about 12 yards, good in the houst. i keep them in my derringer. . be safe, cockroach....

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have 3 bk in my .20 gauge and some metal case remington umc in my .38 I had federal hi-power jacketed hollow points in my .44 before I sold it. It dont matter what you put in that caliber you aint walking away. :wink:

19. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Interesting, the tests we performed had just the opposite effect. This was 20 years ago, I wonder if they have changed the bullet compound since then? Oh well, back to the drawing board. Thanks for the info, time to do some sperimentin'.

20. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i always thought the pow-r-ball was for pistols that would feed an fmj but not a hollowpoint. maybe not. i have never shot any cor bon or glaser, but i have shot hogs with the hydrashok. pretty devastating results, and no pass throughs. i'll bet at closer range it would pass through someone in your house though. i hope it never comes down to that.