Favorite Sabot

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by hookeye, Sep 12, 2005.

1. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ok gang,
    I know curiosity killed the cat but, what is your favorite blackpowder projectile? And, do you have a preferred powder charge? .45 or .50 cal doesn't really matter which you shoot, still would like to know.

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Dont really have a fav. yet. I use 295? sabots with 150 grains. Kicks like a mule. This year I want to try a lighter cva powerbelt bullet with 100 grains but Im worried about losing range. ML calls for 150 but that seems like overkill and it hurts the wallet, and my shoulder. LOL

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I buy empty sabots and 180 grain xtp Hornady bullets. 90 grains of non-corrosive powder. When I zero the muzzleloader I can usually put 3 rounds inside a half dollar size circle at 100 yards. This works great for me.

4. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    WOW!
    Now that is a pretty interesting twist Whistler, I like that idea. You are getting great accuracy, how is the expansion?

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well, all I can tell you about that is the bullets go through a deer at about 50 yards. LOL Small entry and larger exit wounds but nothing like the big sabots I used to buy. I'm using a cheapo CVA inline too. It's also scoped. I still use No. 11 caps on mine too. But it all seems to work good for me.

6. flat and happy

flat and happy New Member

State:
    Little Sioux, Iowa
    this is a great bullet for muzzle loaders because of the speed you'r at 1300-2000 f.p.s The xtp is a hand gun bullet and for the most part muzzle loaders shoot hand gun speed.

7. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hornady XTP/MAG Bullets
    Now you can combine the performance of XTP pistol bullets with the challenge of hunting with a muzzleloader. Muzzleloading hunters can get flatter trajectory, deep penetration and controlled expansion using sabots fitted with Hornady XTP pistol bullets. Hornady XTP bullets consistently deliver deep, terminal penetration on game and are the bullets of choice among handgun hunters. XTP bullets are ideal for muzzleloading hunters since they expand with control at velocities and ranges common to muzzleloading rifles. Hornady Sabots with XTP bullets are easy to load and are self-lubricating. They require no additional lubes or patches. Per 20.

Only 7.99 that is cheap thanks.