Favorite(s) under ice beaver sets and traps?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by backwoodsman68geric, Jan 5, 2010.

1. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    We love setting under ice for beaver. We usually have the whole place to ourselves as most have given hunting/trapping up for the year. We mostly set baited pole sets with no.4's, no.14's etc and 330's. If we are lucky enough to find runs we'll set them up with 330's. We use any green twigs we can find, for the 330's its a bundle about 1 1/2"-2" around and 7 or so inches long. Sometimes with the foothold pole sets we'll use a little bigger bait. We can use snares under the ice but Ive only tried it a few times with little success. Thought about ordering some to try this year as they sure are alot easier to carry.

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've had good success with snares under the ice. I put a bunch of fresh bait branches together in a bundle and put them down verticle in the water near their food cache then surround them with 3 or 4 snares.

3. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    I cant trap beaver this year as Im wheelchair bound till July or so. Gonna be the first winter/ice beaver season I'll miss in over 3 decades. What size snares do you use? The ones we tried we ordered from a supply house but had limited success. Had one nice 50lb beaver that had a bare spot size of a coffee saucer on its back from the washer lock thing. After that I wasnt too thrilled with'em as it turned a $20 beaver into a $10. Had another snare break between the snare cord and the branch and luckily the water wasnt too deep as the beaver was laying on the bottom. Is either of those situations very common with snares? We bought a dozen and had 4 beaver out of those 12 over about a 2 month period. Ended up setting a few more out the next year and I think we caught 1? Gave the rest to my wifes cousin.