Favorite Rod & Reel for Fall Crappie Fishing

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by polecatter, Sep 17, 2009.

1. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Bros,

Thought it would be fun and knowledgeable to find out what "favorite" rod & reel setups everyone uses for Fall crappie fishing. Spinning rigs or Baitcasters?

I have several, but my favorite is an Ultra Light 5ft. Ugly Stik Lite Pro rod paired with a Shimano Sedona 500FD spinning reel.

What is your favorite?

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i use a b&m graphite jig pole for all my crappie fishing. this 11 ft pole is ideal for vertical jigging beside standing timber and fishing deep river channels in winter when the fish are stacked up in deep water. my reel of choice is a tiny baitcaster type reel called a cyclone that i get from grizzly jig company. most of the crappie that i catch are from 10 to 20 ft deep and this vertical jig method is deadly for them.

3. Catfish Levi

Catfish Levi Member

State:
    chillicothe, mo
    i love my 10ft outlaw crappie pole! i use a shimano sonora spinning reel

4. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    5'6" med action, graphite, U/L., with a phluger presedent on it, 4lb Mr.Cappie line...:wink:
    Puddle

5. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    My Wally Marshall IM-6 graphite signature series in 9ft length with a baitcaster style reel, used for vertical jigging around docks and standing timber.

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would have to say a 9' shakespeare crappie hunter spinning combo for me. Works excellent.

7. catman_mark

catman_mark New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use 10' and 4'6 rods. I really like mr. crappie rods. I stagger the larger poles and smaller poles down the side of my pontoon. keeps them from tangling up. I use all garcia reels.Im trying the slab seeker 10' rods got three of them love the light action but the end eye sucks. you cant cast line stopper through it and it seems to pinch the line. So far there is no better rod then wallys to me.

8. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    my cheap 10 foot crappie rod from bass pro. and my cheap open bail from some bait shop crappie it doesnt matter to me what u use. they are small enough anything works. but thats just me

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    My old graphite 4 1/2 finwick with a old school shimano reel rated for 2-6 pound test .That is one fun setup to fish with.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a 5 ft ultra light abu spinning combo,had it for years. Only rod I own for crappie fishing.

11. gonecatin

gonecatin New Member

State:
    IA
    I have used a 4'6" UL g-loomis gl3 Paired with a shimano shimano stradic fh1000 reel for the past 5 years.

12. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I mostly spider rig and use b&m and outlaw rods from nine to eleven feet long.For reels I use whatever from the small underspin zebcos to old ultralite snapshot shimanos none of my reels cost much more than ten bucks.I do have one nice casting rig that uses a sam heaton rod and a ultralite diawa spinning reel.

13. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have several Crappie outfits, but of the rigs I have owned the one I liked best was a combo I bought at Dick's Sporting Goods for like $49.00. It was a Pinicle 1500 paired up with a Guest 2 piece 6 ft. rod. I lost the outer half of the rod in Deer Creek Lake and replaced it with a Berkley. Don't care so much for it now. I have been using an older Shamano Stradic paired with a St Croix 5 1/2 ft. and it seems Ok. I have a grandson who is wanting it so I will probably give it to him and replace it with a Diawa that I picked up off eBay. I wish Dick's would start selling the Guest rods again. I also have a Gander Mountain rod that I like, seems to be a good rod for the price.

14. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
  15. TxBuddha

TxBuddha New Member

State:
    Texas
    Oh man is this a can o' worms for me.....

Vertical jigging timber and minnow fishing - 8' Pro Angler w/ Shimano Cardiff 100, 10# P-Line CX

Brush Piles - 7' ML St Croix Premier w/ Shimano Symetre 1000, 6# Gamma co-poly or 8# P-Line CX

Dock Shootin' - 5.5' Wally Marshall Pro Series w/ Shimano Sahara 750, 6# Gamma co-poly

Spider Riggin' - 10' Pro Angler w/ Shimano Cardiff 100, 10# P-Line CX

I'm a confirmed tackle ho' and believe that crappie fishin' is like golf, you can get by with one club (rod) but there are specific tools for specific applications.

16. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I agree that B&M makes a dandy rod. They are just a little pricey though to have a boat of them, but I guess you get what you pay for.

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Leland tell us more about this rod. Did you make it or can it be purchased today? What % graphite etc?

18. festus

festus New Member

I guess there would be a tossup on two of my crappie outfits.

One is an old Zebco 8' fly rod I removed the eyes from and re rigged it with spinning eyes. I taped a Shimano ultralight reel to it, and use mainly 4 lb. test or 6 lb. test.

Then I have a 6' Mitchell 308 combo spooled with 8 lb. test.

19. astrochelman

astrochelman New Member

State:
    indiana
    it make by silstar 10' it long and the action is great it feel the small bits and is strong to you can hook fish that are 12 pounds and up but it worksgreat for bass and crappie to i use big reels and my set up with okuma stratus sgt50 and it fited with 6# mono on it and i like the feel and action of it try one and if you like fishing for crappie this rod will just you see when you been missing all those years i got three of them i hooked walleye ,cat,crappie bass trout and small pike but ilove to just catsh fish all the time we all do there no feeling like it lol

:big_smile:

20. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    I make the red cedar handles, and farm out the lazered crappie image on them. The rod pictured is no longer available {ATC/S601 by Bob Loomis} But a great rod in this class is a St.Croix 3S60ULF, 6-0' Avid series blank, paired with a 025/500 series reel it's unmatched for sensitivity.