Favorite river conditions for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by walexa07, Jan 9, 2007.

1. walexa07

walexa07 New Member

State:
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    I have a good bit of flathead fishing experience........using limblines, but seems I often pick the wrong river conditions. Fishing charts and such can point it out to be the best weekend of the month, I use bait that has served me great in the past, everything seems right and end up with nothing the whole weekend. I know alot of fresh water from rain can be bad, as well as a river that is rising or dropping too fast. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Waylan

Fishing the Ouachita River in Louisiana

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    ok, what about trotline?? I do trotline sometime in Arkansas, it working for me....

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    waylan, i do best when the river is on a rise. i find them consentrated in predictable spots after a good rain. i dont limbline much but fish were you would be putting them. they will stack up at run off ditches and creek mouths,any were they can ambush the food brought to the river from the rain.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    i DITTO THIS POST. i LIKE IT WHEN THEY ARE PREDICTABLE.:confident: :0a23:

5. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey Waylan:

I caught my biggedst flathead last summer when the we had just gotten about 1.5 inches of rain. M y best luck hasd been high water conditions.

6. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I have had my best luck on a rising river just after a good rain too. put your limb lines out just below a creek or spring head,just before a good rain, with live bait,and run them the first chance you get after the rain.

7. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ive had good luck before and after the rain, but by far better luck while it was raining. git r don

8. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here on the river I fish when the river goes on a rise the fishing truns on! I live 80 river miles below a dam and when the river gets lots of rain above the lake and the river goes on a clear rise it's super!! We cat's good flatheads from November to the first of June. During the summer the blue crabs get so bad we can not keep bait on the line so we don't even try. I wish that was not the case because I would really love to run lines that time of year. We just pole fish at night and catch a few but that's about it. I bow fish through the summer.

9. walexa07

walexa07 New Member

State:
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    So how much can a river be rising per day and the fishing still be great? I normally try to avoid fishing if it is rising/falling more than 2/10ths of a foot/day, but maybe this is a major flaw in my thinking. I really appreciate all the great advice.

Waylan

10. walexa07

walexa07 New Member

State:
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    Also of just as much interest..........is when you guys have noted is the worst time to go, regarding river conditions. I really appreciate it.

Waylan

11. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    The worst time is really high water and alot of current.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I like moving water and some current.

13. walexa07

walexa07 New Member

State:
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    Any other favorite or worst favored times to fish for flatheads on rivers?

14. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My favorite river conditions are when I am the only one parked at the boat ramp!

15. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
    The fish in this picture was caught while the river was on a rise! 3 feet in 2 hours, raining strait down, in the middle of the night! It was a miserable night, untill I hooked this guy!

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    the best time is a rise (faster the better,my rivers can rise 10ft in hours!) untill the river comes out of its banks. after that they will spead into the timber and naturally become unconsentrated. a rise can come from an up stream dam getting ready for an impending storm. there are stream flow charts for waters near you im sure. they have helped me greatly in my fishing. i wish i could drop you a link but havent learned that yet.

the worst time is when its on a fall and the temps are goin down too. i dont watch the barometer,so cant touch on that. hopefully some brothers can chime in on that for us.

17. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Very interesting post, something I haven't really thought about. Thanks guys.

Wheelmobile07

18. walexa07

walexa07 New Member

State:
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    I have heard it explained before that the barometric pressure really can't have any impact on the fish..........since just a foot of water depth difference is almost half a psi. But I sure don't know.

All this information is really great and I plan to change my fishing strategy some this coming spring.

Waylan

19. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    Where I fish it is best to fish when the river has stabalized for about a week you can catch them here during rain but the river gets so muddy that it doesn't really help much.

20. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I like when the water has been low for a few weeks and then you get a good rain. That seems to really wake the fish up. The way it was explained to me is that when the water is low the flattys find deep water and stay there,when the water starts to rise the will move out of the holes and feed on small fish eating washed in bugs and worms. Made sense to me at the time.