Favorite river bait

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CaTmAnDo55, Feb 28, 2007.

1. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    my favorite bait on the river would be bream or eel how about everyone else?

2. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Being new to the flathead scene, i dont have a favorite yet.. From everything ive learned here, this summer im going to try gills and bullheads as they are abundant around here

dru

ps i still like cut shad for channels!!!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would have to go with skipjack heads. Seems to work most of the time.:big_smile:

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Shad guts left in the sun a few hours Great bait if I could stand the smell:wink:

5. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    Thomas, I have had great results with small to medium size whole bream for the 20+ flats. For the smaller fish, I have found that whole shrimp work well sometimes. I have also had some good fish on whole hightcrawlers but you have to contend with the panfish pecking at it too. Just my 1/5th of a dime's worth.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    8 to 12 inch hornyhead creek chubs.8 ti 12 inch goggle eyed pearch.you would be suprized at how many 2 and 3 lb. flatheads eat these big baits.

7. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    for channel cats, I say shad

For Flatties, I say Warmouth, or rockbass because they are the easiest to keep alive for any amount of time. They also seem to kick a lot harder a lot longer than chubs

8. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Last weekend i caught my first flattie of 2007. Nothing big, was in the 9lb range. I caught it while using frozen squid that I had purchased from wally world. This was the first time i've used squid for cats, was really just more of a experiment than anything else. Caught several blues and channels on it also, but just the 1 flathead. I'm gonna give it a few more trys and see how it goes. If it ends up working out I'll post a thread.

9. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I would have to say bream and shiners are in the top three but live eels for huge flatties and blues are my #1 choice.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I like whatever I can catch in that river to use. In Broad River here in Cherokee County I use white suckers, bluegill and creek chubs(knottyheads).

11. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    I'm also a big believer in baiting with whatever the fish are naturally feeding on at the time. In the summer for the Broad I won't take anything but helgremites. Late summer into fall I like grasshoppers. Big flatheads I like live bream. Blue cats I like cutbait in different sizes and cuts depending on conditions. Always like the heads- ALWAYS!

12. catfishing365

catfishing365 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I like shrimp. You might have to doctor on it a bit, but always seems to do good for me.Try soaking it in different things, for different smells.

13. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    OK guys, dumb ole stupid redneck gonna ask a dumb ole stupid question: What is a helgremite and a creek chubby/knottyhead??? Are these brackish/salt water fish? I know very little about salt water fish because in the Pee Dee area and Sandhills area we ain't got much salt water other than sweat. LOL... Thanks again for everyone's input!

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Helgremite is a larva of a Dobson Fly. Creek Chub/ Knottyhead is a Horny Head Chub and I think its in the Rock Tumbler family. We have lots of them here in the creeks.