favorite rigs for catfishin'

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by rrssmith, Jan 26, 2009.

1. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Just curious? what are some of your favorite rig ups for catching catfish?

2. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Carolina rig. Sometimes I'll put a crappie float on the leader to get the bait just off the bottom.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i believe it depends on where you fish. reason why is personal experience. when fishing lake mead nevada, i've found that weight on bottem and hook about 18 -20 inches up worked best. here in yuma, az area, fishing coloradado river, bait on bottem and a slip sinker. in southern ca. most of time no weight. this is just my opinion now, but also my experience.
    gary

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I use the bait on the bottom with the sliding egg sinker and the wieght on the bottom with 2 hooks about 14" apart. but for me i think it depends on the bait i will be using also.

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I use a sinker slide most of the time for running water... can vary the weight easier, if I know that the bottom is cluttered with stuff etc, then its weight on the bottom and and bait above... nice thing about the sinker slide... can put a long line on it, and then the weight is down low, and the bait is free sliding thru the sinker slide. In some areas the good ole "fly lined" bait is nice though....

bayrunner Ray

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Carolina Rig All The Way"
    But
    With a float at times - about 5" or 6" above the hook, just to keep my bait off of the bottom, visible and in the strike zone.
    :wink:

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
  8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I do not have an exact favorite. I have go to rigs for different situations and that is one thing we need to do when we are catfishing is adjust our styles for different situations.

In river and canals its carolina rigs and no roll sinkers used with either a kahle or circle hook depending on which bait - goldfish or gills I am using.

In lakes its flylining with hook and bait only - no weights, to let the fish run with little to no resistance - unless I am using stink bait which will be a carolina rig and weight.

Sometimes I use slip bobbers if I see that fish are mid depths chasing shad and other bait fish. Or may use slip bobbers if there is a lot of underwater structures and I want to keep my bait from hitting the snags from the bottom. In that situation with the slips it is hooked like a carolina rig except I have the slip knot - the beed, the bobber (10 to 12 in), egg sinker, Swivel, than about 12-14 inch leader tied to a circle hook or regular J. Carolina rig style I guess as well when using the slip bobber.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I don't know what Ya call it, but, I run my main line (30-50# mono)through the eye of a snap swivel, and tie off to a 7/0-10/0 Kahle,, then I tie on my weight and attach it to the snap part of the swivel, it's free to slide up and down the line, the line holding the weight is usually 10# or less, maybe a rubberband,,,sacrifice rig,,,If I feel like it, I may lightly pinch on a split shot or 2 to give me about 18-24" of "leader".. It works pretty good, keeps the bait off the bottom a bit. I cast out and keep the reel freewheeling, and the clicker on usually, sometimes I'll engage and set the drag light with the clicker on,,,

10. askins00

askins00 New Member

State:
    California
    I use a finess sinked with a swivel and then a looper rig with catfish charlies sticky shad bait. Works like a charm

11. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i only use three different rigs for catfishing..........carolina rig......santee drift rig.......and sometimes I will use a slip-float...........

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Most often I use a slip sinker, with 12-24 in leader, then a egg sinker, or a sinker on a snap swivel clipped to the line.

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Carolina rig for me .

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Carolina rig on one pole and a surf leader rig with 2 hooks (I believe this is the name) on the other pole. :wink:

15. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    depends if i'm fishing in the river or a lake. river i'm staight carolina. have tried drop rigs with no luck. and in a lake I use 2 poles on slip bobbers and one on bottom (carolina).