favorite reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fishnfella, Nov 4, 2005.

1. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

State:
    Homer City
    I'm kind of new here, so please excuse me if someone has asked before...what is your favorite reel you use...I'm fishing mostly with Penn 309 levelwinds.

2. tackleman

tackleman New Member

State:
    Olathe. Kansas
    ABU 6500 Big Game or a Shimano 400 Calcutta are my weapons of choice.

3. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

State:
    Homer City
    Tackleman, what is your opinion of the Penns??

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The Penn Jigmaster 500 is the best reel for the money if you ask me I have 6 of them and as far as Penn rells go I have 46 of them you can not beat a Penn.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I prefer bait casters; Ambassadeurs in the 5000 & 6000 series, but own others too, including spinning reels.
    I only have one Penn reel at the moment, a 9M that was a gift. I don't care for having to engage the spool by flipping that lever, but I really do like that little reel. With 50# PowerPro and mounted on a 7' Ugly Stik, it will cast a mile (well, a fur piece, anyway), and I've caught some really big fish, and it's like a winch. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    my favorite reel is the one with the clicker going off!

realy though most of my channels cats are caught on abu baitcasters (all sizes) some over thirty years old. the flathead reels i have are shakespear's tidewater 30s, w/o the line counter. they are cheap and tuff,one i have abused for over 15 years. alot of guys love there penns,but i just havent owned any as of yet.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i like my ambassadeaurs. there great. prob the 6500 the best. i have 7 ambass, and a couple penns as far as baitcasters go.

8. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I think my 2 6500 Abu's are my best.

Ray

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    well i really like the abu 5600 and 6500

10. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    let me thing hmmmm my favorite reel right now is a shakespeare alpha spinning reel lol why? because thats the only decent reel my broke self could afford lol and i have 2 of em lol and close second is the synergy closed faced reel lol

11. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

State:
    Homer City
    Thanks for your input...I have an extra heavy casting rod looking for a reel. I'm going to put either a ABU 6500 or 7000 on it. Thanks again.

12. el_pescador

el_pescador New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like the abu 6000 for my river fishing.
    I like my pflueger spinning for eaters.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    My favor is Abu Garica 6000's.

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    ABU Garcia 553 spinning reel.

15. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i used to fish exclusively with abu garcia reels. i have owned probably 10 or more 5500,6000 and 6500's. several years ago, my grandfather, who sells and services new and used reels told me if i liked the 6500 i should try this shimano corsair 400. he said they were built better than the 6500's. i was kind of leary at first but i bought one anyway. well to make along story short, i have 4 of them now and i don't own a single abu garcia reel anymore. the gears are better drags better and they simply outcast and outlast the 6500. i also turned a buddy of mine on to them and he doesnt have anymore 6500's anymore either. we have one other fishing friend that just won't give his 65's up and we are always making fun of him because he always needs pawls replaced or new worm gears or drag washers. if you havent tried them i highly recommend giving one a try.

16. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I find that I tend to use my Shimano bait runner spinning reel for the grassy areas where just a circle hook, line and nice glob of chicken liver does the job. Lets the liver stay up where the cats can get to it.

I do really like the Garcia 6500,s, lever or star drag, for fishing with mono line up to 20 pound test. I probably fish these most.

The Penn 500 Jigmaster is nice but the 140 Squider seems to fit my hand better and they both do a nice job with 20 and 30 pound test mono.

It is not uncommon for me to throw all 3 in the boat. What I use depends a lot on where I'm fishing.

17. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I've been wondering where you were hiding,glad to see you on the new BOC.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like all my abu reels 6000's 6500's and 7000's..I think all 3 are fine reels...I also recently bought my first penn reel, a 320 GT2..I must say out of all my reels if I had to depend on one of them to land a monster cat it would be the penn, it just seems stonger, and has a better drag.

19. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Corn, glad to see you honor us with your presence!! LOL Now maybe Jim Leonard will call off all those PI's he had out looking for you!! LOL Welcome back Corn!

20. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I was wondering if Corn went fishing and got lost. I was about ready to cast out a line with a nice fried catfish nugget on a circle hook to see if I could reel him back in.