Favorite Racoon sets

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 19, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    whats yalls favorite set ups for racoons, this includes traps and baits, everything!

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    My favorite is a snare set in a faint path through the grass.
    Next is a baited stick in the water using 1 1/2 coils. 2 traps work best for this set.
    Bait stick is positioned so coon cannot reach the bank. That way they don't tear up the bank.Trap is under water so coon doesn't do much chewing.I use fish for this set. It'll catch any coon that comes along. Ocasionally I would have a sprung trap when the coon set off trap with its belly. Thats why the second trap.
    Most of the time mr coon is caught in both traps.

good luck
    just

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    can you use #11/2 long springs? or mabe #11 double longsprings for that? so i put the traps under water, with a bait sticksticking up, using 2 traps? and the snare set? how do i do that?

4. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have probably taken more coon with a 5 gallon bucket baited with just about anything you got from chicken scraps to rotten fish, take a 220 conibear and guard the front of the bucket..the coons will walk right into it..:wink: just be careful where you set it..there is no releasing unwanted catches from a conibear.. the next easiest is to take a piece of white 1 inch pvc and cut it about 8-10 inches long..drive it in the ground or side of a bank and put the bait in the very bottom of the pipe so they cant reach it, then just place the trap in the front..he will work the pipe until he gets caught, the white is a good eye attractant also..I like dirt hole sets big and little..but they are just too much work if your ground is hard like mine is..

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    hit the nail right on the head with the connibear set. if you ask me that is one of the eassest and best sets in my oppinion to catch a coon. never heard of the pvc pipe but it sounds like a heck of an idea and ill have to try it here as soon as i set my traps. as far as bait goes i just mix canned tuna or canned cat/dog food with dry dog food and throw it in the back of the bucket.

6. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa

That set is one I used 1 1/2 longsprings on.
    The set is the stake,and 2 traps.
    The traps are under water with the bait sticking up.
    You can do it with one trap but I had better luck with 2.
    Your #11s will work fine.
    This is a good set for coons that chew their foot. They don't chew with this set.

The PVC set that BLKCLD mentions is a variation of a cubby set.
    I've used that set for mink. With good results.
    Only problem is the coons tear up the bank.Thats one of the reasons I like the stake set in the water.

best of luck to ya
    just

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Instead of a connibear on the bucket, would it be possible that a snare would work? (not alloud to use connibear traps, to many domestic animals in the area)

8. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Sorry about the poor drawing but here is the set.

Attached Files:

9. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    No sorry .It won't unless you can use a springpole(doubtful) in Texas.
    You can guard a bucket with foothold traps though.
    Here is where a variation of BKLCLD's set would work. Just put your bait in a piece of pipe where Mr Coon would have to step in your trap to investigate whats in the pipe.

Snares are mostly used in whats called a blind set.
    Generally no bait at the set.
    You can use a large bait and create a path to it and guard the path.
    good lucl
    just

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The old tried and true 'shiny pan set ' has to be my fav. ,Kev just wrap foil on the pan and set in a place where the coons are traveling along the water. set the trap just under the water ,no covering. it works best in a shallow ripple ,but coons cant resist grabbin on to a shiny object. I like to use this one when the full moon is in.
    I also like a cubby set guarded by a 1 1/2 coil using canned sardines in oil as bait.with just a dab of coon lure on a stick thrown in the back of the cubby.

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

what about a ram snare?

12. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    what on earth is a ram snare?

13. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yeah I guess I don't know what a ran snare is either.
    ???
    just

14. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i like to find a pretty large culvert that goes under the road in a drawand you can see the spot where the coons and critters go under the fence next to the road and put a snare right under there. make sure you check it early so other people dont see what youve caught and steal it.