Favorite names...fishing holes

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Kinch's_cats, May 18, 2007.

1. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was just curious what kind of names people come up with for some of thier favorite fishing spots along the rivers and lakes. I'm sure it is true with everyone that you have names for places that only your friends would understand. A couple years ago I coined a name for a spot "Battle of Little Bullhead" after I kept getting run after run with a bullhead. All I ended up retrieving was the head of my bait probably because of a turtle, but the name stuck.:wink:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    There is a place I fish on the Ohio over on the Ohio side thats called 'Snag City'...I bet you can't figure out why! :roll_eyes: :lol: Its a good place to fish also if you can keep out of the snags.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    John is that where we were? It seemed like a good idea since it was "covered" but it didnt work at keeping me dry or warm :lol: and it was very snaggy :lol:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

LOL! :lol: It should have been. That was a cold,wet and snaggy day for sure!!! The spot I'm talking about is in Ironton,OH. Next time you make it down this way there are some pretty good spots on the river on your side that i've been fishing.:wink:

5. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    fished 1 hole 1 time that was named the 30ft hole. figure that one out..and i know it doesnt pertain but had a hill we rabit hunted on called suicide hill. once they jumped no where to go except beside the rail road tracks and down the side of it...and boom they would roll

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I usually give my holes descriptive names - things like the "Carp Tree," and "Leaning Stump" and "Bump on the Bank" and "Upriver slough"

Kind of boring, and I'm running out of names. Gonna have to get a bit more creative, I guess...

7. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think there really is a boring name. I also fish places like the "mouth" the "rocks" and "the deep hole".

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my freinds and i give "spots" or "holes" names also. usually the name is relating to something there or how good it produces. we try to make it something obvious to us but would have someone who overheard confused as to its location. some of our names are "the dead sea", "skull island", "the day saver", "the nursery" (due to it being loaded with dinks!), "the 11 o'clock spot" (flatties will not bite until 11pm, guaranteed!), "the canary hole" (dude who spilled the beans on the "secret" spot was singing like a canary about it lol), "floyds hole", "bread and butter" (refering to bread-and-butter PICKLES......pickles, need i say more?), "the Mc-spot" (right across the river from a Mcdonalds), "the coon tree", "the disease tree" (got a Bad case of chiggers from a tree there), "hooker alley", "the dirty needle" (always find dirty, used needles from druggies washed up on the bank there)...etc. have one that is simply "the hole". its so good we just called it that....THE HOLE!

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    we have some names for our holes to.theres the hoot owl hole car body hole vikin lodge hole.these are good spots for small to mediun flat heads

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    The Tubes, the icebreakers, the bins, we got all sorts of them on the Ohio

11. Kinch's_cats

Kinch's_cats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We've got a "car bodies" also. Some farmer decided it was a good idea to hold his bank together by using old junk cars. It's actually worked pretty good and given the cats some cover.

12. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    We name them after cats.The litter box,the cathouse and spot X.

13. MRFLATHEAD

MRFLATHEAD Guest

i have afew spots called home sweet home, sticks and stones, deep center field , Coyote point,

14. fess

fess New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a few names for a few spots i fish. there is the pine hole. the forks. the bridge, the culvert, well I could probably go on all day.lol

15. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have a few....the 30'er, the spring, the docks...and my personal favorite..."The Thong hole"..oh thats just where I wish I was at right now...my bad. Did I say that out loud.........:big_smile:

16. Tank

Tank New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the blue hole..the sticks...goldenpond...just to name a few of the names we fish

17. Brian Wheeler

Brian Wheeler New Member

State:
    ohio
    How about the "long walk" cause it's a long one too my fave.
    OH yea through sand....

18. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    we got one where we flipped our canoe right as we were almost to our spot, it was diapointing, we lost all our bait which we drove 30 minuets to get, the name is the evil hole. great for big flats bad for canoeing to..

19. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Have a few names the honey hole ,banjo,the beach,and a few others also.

20. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Here's a few: Honey hole, Dogpound hole, Stump hole, B-Dog hole, 50 ft hole, etc.

HAWK :smile2: