Favorite "Mythbuster"

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Deltalover, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Mine is the one that disproved the idea that pickup trucks get better gas mileage with the tailgate down, or with the web belt tailgate. The truck with the tailgate down got a bout 50 miles less because with the tailgate up there is a revolving ball of air, that the air coming over the truck rolls off of. With the gate down, there is air resistance, that cuts down on gas mileage! Whats your favorite one?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah that was a good one, ill be leaving my tailgate up from now on:D my favorite one has to be the one where they were testing the theory that the confederate army invented the first ballistic missile and actually shot it from Virginia to D.C.

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I liked the one where they where tryin to sling shot illegals over the boarder

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    My favorites
    Exploding Porta Potty, Can a human generate enough methane.
    Elevator of Death, Levitation. IF you jump at the last minute when the elevator crashes will you survive.
    shredding plane, One plane runs into another while prop is going.

Common theme. Destruction in some form.

Best all time. Using a bunch of C4 inside an old cement truck. Big Boom.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    LOL, I must have missed a few! I will have to go to blockbuster and see if they have the whole series! What a great job!

6. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    One of my favs is when they made Civil War rockets to see how far they would actually fly

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I have seen that one, it was pretty cool!:cool:

8. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    i like 'em all! esp. the ones where they blow stuff up. my all-time fav has to be when they blew up the cement truck. they were testing the myth about firecrackers being used to clean cemet from old cement trucks. well, they accidentally overfilled the barrel to about 3/4 full. they determined its pluasable to clean chunks of cement w/ m-80's or cherry bombs (now illegal.) in true mythbusters fashion, they took the overfilled truck to an abandoned site, filled every spare inch of it w/ bags upon bags of industrial explosive (the same kind used to blast earth in mining and such) and evacuated in a ONE MILE radius.

man what an explosion!!!!! the truck instantly disentegrated, only the rear axle was left semi-intact. it was amazing

9. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    i also like the "tree cannon" one. they built a cannon from a big dutch elm tree, and it worked flawlessly. but the myth was that villagers overloaded it w/ powder and it blew up, killing the villagers. when firing the projectiles, they loaded it w/ i think 6 oz of gunpowder (the kind used in medieval ages). but they decided to blow it up. first, they pured in SIX POUNDS of modern-day gun powder and plugged the muzzle w/ an aluminum plug. the thing just disappeared, wood peices going everywhere,

10. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    They did a gas mileage one comparing windows down compared to using the air conditioning. They used suv's of some sort and the one using the ac had a better mpg. Windows down caused more air drag or something.

I try to watch them when I can find them. I gotta admit some have bored me but most are entertaining.

11. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Come on, who doesn't like seeing a chicken being fired from an air cannon at an airplane cockpit. Just seeing that chicken splat was enough to set me off laughing. A new way to make chicken salad.

12. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I liked the one when they raised a cabin cruser with ping pong balls.

13. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I like the one where they blew up the toilet, you can't go wrong there, thats great entertainment.:D

14. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I got a good kick out of the Vodka myths. Those were intersting, though nothing blew up. The other one I liked was the Jaws myths. Made me think twice about going in a cage to see some sharks!

15. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Who else has noticed that these guys just like blowing things up in general?? LOL

The jaws series is my favorite. Especially the one where they attempted to blow up a scuba tank stuffed into a model sharks mouth by shooting it with a mounted M-1 Garand rifle just like the one used in the movie....actually the tank was one that WAS used in the original movie. They couldn't get it to blow up...instead it bounced around inside the storage container they had it mounted in.

Since it didn't blow up like they had hoped...they recruited an Army demolition unit...attached C-4 to it...and touched it off. SUCCESS!!!! LMAO

It even bowed out the container walls!

16. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i like the one where they showed whether being under water protects you from bullets from above. I dont think any calibers (even 50) made it past 3 ft. without disentegrating. actually im still not convinced on this one though.

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I'd hate to be the one 4 feet underwater testing it out.

18. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like the one where they blow up the cement truck. Talk about a huge explosion.:conc-big:

19. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    The cement truck was great!

20. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I have a few favorites
    I like the Wood tree cannon, The Cement truck and then the one where they made the Playing Card thrower and Jamie took off his shirt to prove that even at 60 mph it wouldnt stick in your skin ! Awesome