Favorite Memories

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TDawgNOk, Feb 21, 2006.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    What are some of your favorite childhood memories?

Some of mine are of spending time with my Grandma out in Enid, going to TG&Y, and Otasco. Riding her John Deer mower. Playing in the shale of her driveway with my tonka trucks.

Christmas Eve at my Grandma and Grandpa's in Tulsa and opening presents. Spending time in their extra bedroom playing with Tinker-Toys and a Playschool farm set. Playing croquet in the summer in their yard, and getting to ride in the trailer of my Grandpa's Snapper.

Going through Boy Scouts, making Eagle, going to the 1989 National Jamboree, going to the Sommers Canoe Base in Ely Mn, going backpacking in Colorado

Taking family trips to Disney World and Epcot, Opryland, San Antonio, seeing the USS Alabama.

These are some of my fondest memories.

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Man, I loved the boy scouts! I think I was really fortunate to have had that part of my life! My father was a scoutmaster for "troop 510"! I dont see as many opportuinitys today, though troop 510 is still active today! I loved going to the camporees, and the "order of the arrow"! It is really to bad more kids are not into it these days! They sure did have a string of bad luck this last year though and my heart and prayers go out to those families!
    Do you boy scouts remember this? I think we ought to make our politicians follow this! We all would do well to remember this, actually!
    Boy Scout Oath, Law, Motto, and Slogan
    Scout Oath (or Promise)
    On my honor I will do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country
    and to obey the Scout Law;
    To help other people at all times;
    To keep myself physically strong,
    mentally awake, and morally straight.
    Scout Law
    TRUSTWORTHY
    A Scout tells the truth. He keeps his promises. Honesty is part of his code of conduct. People can depend on him.
    LOYAL
    A Scout is true to his family, Scout leaders, friends, school, and nation.
    HELPFUL
    A Scout is concerned about other people. He does things willingly for others without pay or reward.
    FRIENDLY
    A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He seeks to understand others. He respects those with ideas and customs other than his own.
    COURTEOUS
    A Scout is polite to everyone regardless of age or position. He knows good manners make it easier for people to get along together.
    KIND
    A Scout understands there is strength in being gentle. He treats others as he wants to be treated. He does not hurt or kill harmless things without reason.
    OBEDIENT
    A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobey them.
    CHEERFUL
    A Scout looks for the bright side of things. He cheerfully does tasks that come his way. He tries to make others happy.
    THRIFTY
    A Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for unforeseen needs. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property.
    BRAVE
    A Scout can face danger even if he is afraid. He has the courage to stand for what he thinks is right even if others laugh at or threaten him.
    CLEAN
    A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He goes around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community clean.
    REVERENT
    A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.
    Scout Motto
    Be Prepared
    Scout Slogan
    Do a Good Turn Daily

The Boy Scouts of America http://www.scouting.org

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I spent the first 14 years of my life in dry West Texas. We lived in the flat farming country called the South Plains. The only "lakes" were the usually dry depressions called "Buffalo Wallows" that sometime (rarely) filled with rain water. The nearest fishing creek was many miles away down in the Blanco Canyon. The canyon and pasture land above that bordered the canyon was owned by the giant L7 Ranch.

Our fishing trips were very rare... I only remember going a couple times before age 14. We had a great place for earth worms at the end of the kitchen sink line. Most our neighbors would help their self to our worms for we had plenty for all. After digging plenty worms, getting the iron skillet, coffee/can, salt, meal, hog lard, raw potatoes, onions, bread and of course a jar of blue label Brer Rabbit syrup we would be ready.

Then the long drive in the old car to the land that bordered the canyon. Dad would look for a good place to take down the fence. He always carried a fence tool for pulling and replacing the barb wire staples. He would pull the wires off a couple post, stand on them while we drove the car across, then temporary replace the wires to the post. Later that evening we would come back out at the same place and he would put the fence back up good as new. Next we drove across the pasture to the canyon to find a ravine with mesquite to hide the car from the "ranch riders". Yes, this was trespassing big time but back then I had never heard of the word trespassing. After hiding the car the best we could in the mesquite we would look for a place to get down the "caprock". The caprock in most places was almost solid rock, 3 to 12 ft straight down. We had to find a pretty easy place to get down for my mother was a little overweight. After getting down the caprock it was steep down hill a mile or so to the creek. Always on the look out for ranch riders and rattlers, we usually kill rattlesnakes on the way down and back out that evening. The small creek only had a few good fishing holes so this took more walking. As we walked the creek we kept look for cane to cut for fishing poles. Dad carried all our fishing "tackle" (fishing line, hooks, weights and cork bobbers) in one of his back pockets. Finally we would find a nice hole of water and start fishing. Seems we always caught a bunch of what I then called "catfish".... they were probably mudcat. Dad would clean em, build a fire, mother would peel tators, clean onions, fry the tators/onions and fry the fish. She boil coffee in the coffee can. That fish and all was sooo good!

After eating dad, my brothers and I would go for a rare treat...a swim! Afterwards if it was plum season we would pick plums to take home for canning. Too soon it was time for the trip back up the canyon to the caprock. We would have to stop often to let my mom rest. I was worried that she might have a heart attack. Some of the stops would be to kill rattlesnakes of which dad always kept their rattlers.

On the way home after we got on the paved highway there was a filling station that we stopped for ice cream. They had a special triple dip cones like I had never seen, they cost all of 10 cents.
    This has been so long ago but a kid never forgets their first fishing trips. Dads and Granddads out there... take those kids fishing ever chance you have... but NO Trespassing. ;)

4. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

One of my fondest memories of being a Scout is a tour we took of the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs where our troup got to meet and shake the hand of JFK. Still to this day it will raise the hairs on my arm to think about it! Today's leaders couldn't even come close to compare themselves to him and what he meant to this country. Just a short time afterwards he was shot in Dallas and the country was in deep shock, course there were plenty that sighed in relief (Castro) I myself will forever remember his smile and genuine personna.