Favorite Line For Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishrollo, Jan 15, 2010.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I have been running Berkely Big Game Mono in the 30lb. and 40lb. test for many years now on my rigs for river flatheads. I have no complaints . Yes I have had it broken when dealing with big fish around heavy structure, but its overall results have been great. This spring I bought a couple other brands of mono to see if they held up to the big game, or to see if possibly I would find something I like better. I gave some of the line to one of my buddies so he could try it as well. The brands were Cabela's Brand Mono in 30lb... And Cajun Red. in 40lb. We actually ended up liking them both. The Cajun seemed to want to twist. The Cabela's seemed to have alittle more stretch than Big Game 30lb. However, it casts great on our Garcia's. My buddy actually landed his PB on the Cabelas 30 test. A 47 pound beauty. I will keep running the Big Game however, because it has proven over many seasons and I don't like change once Im in a comfort zone. But, I wanna ask, are lines especially monos overrated when comparing name brand to name brand? Have you found a single monofilament that is much better pound for pound over another? Honestly, I think anymore that they are much more evenly matched than ever. I know there is some flat out junk on the market, but overall and even in the braids, more and more people are buying lines by popularity over anything... Opinions? Goodluck in 2010..... rollo

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've enjoyed using Berkeley Big Game mono for several years...

Recently, a couple of years ago,, I bought a filler spool of Hi Seas
    Quattro Camo in 30#,, and, was Very impressed with it.. since then, I've been using it in 50#, and feel very well tackled up..
    I also, use it right beside the Big Game 50#, and, Like them both..

I like the confidence I feel, when using either, especially, when in the nasty rocks, and structure, I always seem to find..
    I check the lines,, often, and cut and retie when I find evidence of abrasion..

3. Quincycatman1

Quincycatman1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    for shure big game mono is nice. It is very tough and strechy. I use 50 lb. cajun mono on my flathead rods. I bring out the braid when I fish open water cause 80 lb. stren wont give or break. Then il be stuck in that logjam again from uprooting my anchor.

4. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Power pro 100# line is the minimum I use for any fishing

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    im a big fan of the cajun line myself i find it to be really strong,ive never had a fish break me off.but ive been experimenting with a few others just for curiosity sake cause id like to have something i can see just a tad better.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

80 or 100# braid for me.60-80# mono leaders.

7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    65-100 LB Power Pro main line with a 60-80 LB Mono Leader

8. BillH

BillH New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    This website might help you some. IMO, I stick with Pat & Ramon--Heavy duty main line--Slightly smaller leader. I prefer The Carolina Rig. Sometimes I will make a cut in a small cork & put it on my leader just about half way between my swivel & bait. It will get your bait just slightly off the bottom. This only works where there is a slight current. The main thing is have confidence in your entire set up.

http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/linetesting.htm

Hope this helps !!

9. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Andre is definately the strongest and most durable mono. Power Pro because it stays round. Tug o war is also good.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was a big game user for many years, but switched to the vicious brand of mono last year.I can cast it farther, and it cast much smoother than the big game did.

I never use anything over 30-lb test for flatheads, mainly use 25-lb test now...And I use the same leader as my main line.

11. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    im not a big fan of cajun line, i like the big game, i dont know what line i have on now, its some hi vis yellow nameless stuff that i got for 6 dollars for 500 yards, and its holdin up just as well as anything else i have used, im gonna hafta figure out what it is,, givin braid a try this year tho

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Bill,,
    I like the cork idea....
    and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Welcome to the USCA/BOC!!

13. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have tried so many different Brands and poundage of Mono and Braid, I seem to like the 50# Big Game and some 60# seaguar that i run also. Braids on the other hand i like the 80# power pro and the 72# or 96# Mason Big Cat. I run the 60# mono leader for both mono and braid setups. After I made the switch to these lines my confidence is alot higher in my abilty to get fish to the bank or boat.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Is there Ande Line in Ohio?

15. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like the power pro myself. Not all of my rods are rigged with it due to cost.

16. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was using Berkley Big Game #25 but I got a 1,655 yard reel of Shakespeare Sigma #25 for 5 bucks at the boat show last weekend. It came on a Bigwater open face reel I bought a couple of years ago and seemed to be a lot like the Big Game. Even if I reline once a month during the season it should last me a few years and if I decide I don't like it I'm not out much and can use it as a backup. I've done well with their rods and reels over the years so I'm not too worried about it working

17. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Ande mono,Power Pro braid and berkley flurocarban.

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have always used the Berkley Big Game for all species. With great success. I tried Suffix a couple of years back and liked it also. Tried the Cajun Red and hated the coil. Decided to use it only as a leader.

19. zackjohnson_57

zackjohnson_57 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Im using a 50lb power pro braid but i dont know the size leader i should use somebody help me out

20. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Just try and go a little lighter on the leader,like #40 big game with the #50 braid.That way when ya get hung up,you aint losing the costlier braid.