Favorite lb test fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Dec 27, 2008.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    What's everyones favorite strength for your fishing ine? Braid or mono.... Do you like the heavy stuff or so you give the fish a fair chance? :big_smile:

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use 100 lb. power pro on my tournament rods. Also use 65 lb power pro on some reels. Jeff with team catfish just gave us some 80 lb. cajun braid that I will spool on 5 reels and give it a try:big_smile:.

I also use mono on some reels, 30 lb. on abu 6000 and 6500's and 40 lb. on abu 7000's and larger.

And no I don't give the fish a chance if I can help it :smile2:.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    And no I don't give the fish a chance if I can help it :smile2:.[/QUOTE]
    What he said(LOL) I am running 50lb mono & 60 powerpro...I love that power pro but its so darn spensive!

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    65pound spiderwire 40pound mono shock leader carolina rig gamakatsu oct circle 8/0

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 20 # mono on all my catfish reels. Never had a need for anything heavier yet. Its not about giving the fish a better chance....its about being able to say I caught a 67.2 lb Flathead on 20# mono. I really dont need any heavier line. With the lighter lines....you just cant whip them to the boat or the bank.....it requires a little bit more finesse'. Thats what makes it more of a battle and adds to the experience for me!!:big_smile:

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    with my condition I'm tryin to get the fish to the bank or boat as fast as possible the less amount of stress on me and the fish the better :0a30:

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I seem to keep going to 30# mono.... mostly.. even though I use 65-80 Power Pro, and up to 50# mono...on some reels.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i run 80# power pro with 40# big cat mono for a leader

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I like to use the lightest gear i can get away with, 20# mono is the lowest i go for cats most of the time now if im fishing the tail waters behind the dams in spring during the spawn i move up to 60# mono due to the current and rocks. Big game is one of my favs decent line for the price.

10. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I use 50# mono for the blues and 20# mono for channels.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    20-25-lb mono for mainline and leader is all i need for fltas up to my best off 55-lbs..if you have your drag set right you can land a monster on 20-lb mono.

but keep it fresh and make sure there is no nicks in the line.

i chnage my line every 3-4 trips.

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use only 100# power-pro .

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I aways use 20# mono myself,to me its just a good all around line,i do have 30# on one reel but all the rest of them have the 20# cajun red line.Ive never needed any larger then that,ive caught large cats with it and never broke me off.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    100% 100 pound Power Pro for all catfish rods.

Bill in SC

15. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    I use 50 lb power pro on all my catfish reels i use a 30 lb berkley big cat for leader.

16. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    30# Tufline XP and 50# braid for the bigger ones. Thinking about trying some 65# on my new reel.

17. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    20 lb Big Game on all reels used for cattin'.

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use 20 to 30# monmo on my 6500 and 7000. I'm planning on bringing a couple of old 5000c"s out of retirement this year and figure I'll use 30 to 50 # braid on them because they a small spool reel. The thinner braid will kick line capacity back up by a bit on them.