favorite knot?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by nitemare_63, Feb 13, 2009.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    whats your favorite most reliable knot? i lean towards the palomar knot

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Palomar has always been a favorite. and snelling the hook. Recently learn the no-knot snell which is easier and quicker to tie on-the-run, but still as strong.

3. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    What is a no knot snell? Thanks Sam Davis

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    actually learn it from somebody else, so it might be called different. Will see if I can discribe it. I don't have any visuals to offer.

-First cut your leader, I usually like a 3 to 4' leader. yours may vary.

-Hold the hook with the barb towards you.

-Then thread the line through the eye, holding about 1/2"to 1" down along the shank with your finger that is holding the hook

- Then with your other hand, wrap 7,8,9(your preference) times around the shank just below the eye. Keeping the wraps tight up close to the eye.

-Then, put the other end of your leader back through the eye from back of the hook towards the barb and pull tight. Keeping the line on the outside of the wraps, Vs. the inside like you would do with a conventional snell

-Cut the excess tagline off( maybe leave 1/8" to 3/16") that you first put through when you started, to dress it up.

Once you get onto it. You can snell a hook in less then a minute. Still easy enough to do in the dark out on the water or what have ya. You might already know about this just call it something different or very in discription. Your not tieing any knots, tension will hold the snell in place.

Hope that was understandable.

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I always tie the palomar. Never needed anything else!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like to snell the hooks and use the palomar for everything else. Works for me.

7. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I like the Snell Knot and the Palomar Knot..:smile2:..both are very easy to tie.

8. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I like the palomar knot as well. Last year Puddle jumper built a device for debunking all the knot myths. He invited lots of folks to tie there favorite knots including the snell and just about every other common fishing knot. The palomar won against every knot and by a long shot.
    Does this mean that other knots will not hold a fish? Of course it doesn't. It did prove beyond a shadow of a doubt what the best knot is.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Mickey took the words right outta my mouth....:wink::smile2:

10. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    yea what they said:wink::smile2::eek:oooh:

11. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Palomar knots are the way to go if your using a straight shaft hook, meaning the the eye of the hook isn't bent or angled. Therefore I only use straight shaft circle, j-hooks, 8/0. The palomar actually gives you twice the pound strength at the knot due to the doubling of the line throught the eye let. Best knot for catfishing IMO.