Favorite J hook and bait

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jun 25, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    what is your favorite J hook and bait combo.....

mine is 4/0 baitholder and "strip" of cut bait

i think that little extra bit of shank does wonders but im considering a switch to kahles ( do yall like them better ????)

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I like kahles cause they load up like a circle or ya can croos thier eyes.

3. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    well i dont really fish for flathead around here, the nearest place is AZ in the COL. R which is like 200 mi. from me... so dont go out there too much... anyways the answer to your question for me on what type of hook and bait combo is :

i really like my set up because its easy to repair if something goes wrong, i use an egg sinker, snap swivel, and eagle claw leaders # 4 prefered

choice of bait, would be livers with crushed garlic #1 choice

if you wonder why i use #4 sized hooks is of course because i really only fish for channels, and the other is its a universal size for fillet size and lagger channels, ive never had a problem with the size being to big or to small....

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

your talking about the 4/0 leaders right.... right on man because i like to use them too.....

i figure at night they want food and they arent line chy so its the easiest thing to do... the 2/0 snells are great for striper fishing becasue a black swivel is liek a lure and the stiff leader materal is a way to make the bait struggle..... if i get gutters i unsnap the hook and put another one on....that takes like what ??? 20 seconds

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I used to fish with only J-hooks all the time. I have tried every hook available on the market. I now use nothing but Kahles. They work great for me. I fish for Large Flatheads with great big Bluegills and use the Eagle Claw 9/0 King Kahles.:big_smile: