Favorite Hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Cody M, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Cody M

Cody M New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Lets hear some stories of your favorite turkey hunts

Thanks
    Cody

2. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    here in IN. it is slow going they are not wanting to work very easy. have been hunting for 5 days and only seen 1 tom killed.....good luck.

3. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

State:
    indiana
    I have several of them. I like seeing the younger hunters getting them. The way they get excited after shooting a bird is unmatched by any bird I have killed.

I also love the stupid mistakes I make while hunting them. I dozed off one time only to wake up and scare 5 or 6 turkeys off that were by my decoys. You feel sick when it happens, but you can only laugh at yourself and move on.

4. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    My favorite hunt was with my father years ago. I had just killed my first boomer. Took him out like I knew what I was doing. Tore up that slate call nonstop. After an hour or so we spotted a flock of crows evacuating the field. Sure enough about 350yds away here come three Toms. Taking turns running ahaead of each other and then stopping to strut. They kept coming like it was a turkey hunting video. They get to about 15yds, and I whisper, "It's not ever gonna get better than that....shoot!!!"
    The old bugger was measuring their beards, wanting to take on better than mine.....I was so pumped when he shot I didn't even take a shot at the others.....just basked in the moment.....never had a better, more satisfying, memorable hunt since.... My dad is as disabled veteran so it's hard to find easy access spots but I wouldn't pass a hunting trip with him for anything.

Rich

5. Strut_buster

Strut_buster New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My favorite hunt was the Indiana youth season this year. Set up on a field full of birds, worked a group for close to 2 hours. Now this was my 12 year old step-sons first attempt at this noble and agravating sport. I had him set up against a fence looking out a hole in a honey suckle patch, after about 1 and a half hours of these birds comeing close and going away he says to me my butt cant take any more. We found a good opportunity to readjust and he hung in tuff. The birds finally got in close when a hen snuck in and starts her crap at about 2 feet from me. The biggest tom came to her and was now 4 feet infront of me but paying to much attention to her to notice me. She turns and goes away but he didnt follow he went back to his buds in the field. Finally they single file made there way out in front of Cody but the first one (a jake ) hung up in his shooting window the rest went out around and he finally moved but the second bird was about 50 yards out. Cody turns and shrugs his shoulers I told him to hammer him and he did. 20ga with heavy shot. 24# 9 1/2" beard 21 and 22 mm spurs. What a start! His deaf grandpa was there to injoy it, what a proud moment.

6. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

State:
    indiana
    Couple of years ago I set up on the edge of a tilled field. There was an old fence behind me. Well that is where the tom decided to come from. He was walking back and forth trying to get around the fence. He would get 5' from me then turn around and walk the other way out of my sight. The woods was thick behind me and I would loose sight of him at 10'. So finally on one of the many trips back and forth I worked up enough nerve to turn around and I was ready to shoot him at 10'. Well he never came back. So I decided to turn back to my decoys in the open field. Well there he was. He figured out away around that fence and was at the decoys. That's where I shot him. You talk about emotions going high, low, high, low, and finally the rush of the kill.