favorite hook style

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by channelcathunter64, Jan 6, 2008.

1. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i was just wonderin what kind of hook style that you guys like(octupus, circle, octupus cirlce, j hook, etc) for all types of fishing like tightlining, float rig, and freelining

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I use just about all styles but my favorite is tru turn.

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    My favorite is the Eagle Claw King Kahle, size 10/0

4. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i use team catfish double action kahle hooks

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Kahel hook's all the way you get the best of both world's fishing these hook's!!!!

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Totally agree with Kahles.Best of both worlds as you get corner of the mouth hookup with a wider gap than the circles.Have extensively tested both and have no problem with circles,I just feel there is a better hook-up ratio with Kahles.The Daiichi Circle chunk wide gaps would be my choice for circles.I have seen these hooks in action on the James a number of times and they work as well as the 7/0 Kahles in my opinion.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'll 2nd that Russ. Team catfish double action circle hooks. These circles are a step ahead of the rest.

8. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I never put much thought in to it untill I came to the B.O.C. and I'm still thinking.:big_smile::wink:

9. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Nothing but circle.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I only use circle hooks..Gamgatsu in 8/0 for flatheads 4/0 for channels.

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Kahles for me, great hookup ratio on all catfish even when the Flatheads are just sitting on the bait not making a run. I use two sizes for most all my catfishing, 7/0 and 10/0.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Undecided.

I use and love 8/0 Gamakatsus Octopus Circle hooks for drifting.

I have used the Eagle Claw 10/0 King Kahle with mixed results.

I am learning to love my Gamakatsu 10/0 octopus J style hooks. I like the freedom to rare back and hang one on my terms, not necessarily waiting for the big run, or full takedown.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    JACK,good to see you back.I'm even happier to see the RENT A FLATHEAD store finally opened in Ohio!!!!!:big_smile::smile2:Mellon says he loaned you that fish so you could make an avatar with it,any truth to that???:smile2::big_smile:

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    "rent a flathead" if thats what you call a $$$ lake theise days:smile2: i rember those two arguing over that recept to a $$$ lake:smile2:

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi Jim!!! I actually landed 2 fish over 40-lbs last year...Was a great year for sure.

16. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I would have to say most any mustad circle, depends on size of the bait being used. You also have to look at the way you fish, if you are a guy that cant wait to set the hook or a guy that wants to set the hook yourself, if you are you should go with a kahle.... If you are patient I think the circle is a better choice because with the proper tention the circle hook does all the work for you. I got tired of blaming myself for missing the hookset with kahl or J style hooks...I think we can all relate to that.

GOOD FISHING

STEVE

17. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    catfishing guide steve brown at catfish safari .com got me into using circle hooks when drifting it was wierd at first not to jerk but didnt take too many fishing trips to see they really work well i love them now for drifting and tightlining in current the fish smashes the rod over hes on there!!!!!!!! i still use large kahle hooks when bottom bouncing in the river floating along with the current and when im using my bait clickers i love to set the hook myself its fun to me to still jerk. but when drifting and current fishing circle hooks all the way

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Kahle hook,then gama oct circle,then oct.

19. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    kahles 10/0 are my choice