favorite hook size?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by nitemare_63, Sep 30, 2009.

1. nitemare_63

nitemare_63 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    so what size of hook do most of you use?

2. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    i like the team catfish 8/0 double action.:wink:

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Depends on what kind and size fish your targeting and size of bait ya got:wink:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    8/0 Gamakatzu 4x strong Octopus Circle or 8/0 Team Catfish Double Action Circle

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    up until here recently i would have told you Gama size 5-10/0 octo J's. but after fishing with some of the guys from the BOC, i have decided to try out the Gama octo circle hooks. i have bought size 6 and 8 along with a pk of really big boys for those super big baits, size 16/0 Mustad circles. when it comes to hook size i adjust my hook to fit the bait. i have friends that use the same size for the most part no matter the bait size but i am a firm believer that a big bait gets a big hook, a small bait gets a small hook. so i carry a variety of size and shapes. also, some times it pays to carry a few different kinds depending on how the fish are hitting. if they are short striking, you may need a J hook so you can set it before they drop the bait. if they are taking a decent run, the circles are the way to go. just what i have picked up and what im starting to go with.

6. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Exactly. A Gama 8/0 OC is smaller than the Team Catfish DA 8/0. Much smaller. So I know to size down on my next order from Team Catfish.

Maybe I should buy some hooks and put together a comparison chart for the BOC???

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    That is exactly why i dont order much off the internet. it burns me up that you never can tell exactly what you are getting unless they give you a pop up that shows the actual size or it next to a ruler so that you can see whats going on.
    a universal sizing would be nice.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    7/0 & 8/0 Octopus Circles.

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i use whatever size hook suits the bait i'm using. i have used 8/0 circles with whole worms and size #8 circles with pieces of worm.

10. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    eagle claw black platinum kahles in 5/0 to 8/0

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    8/0 gamma octo circles

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I've got about every size of hook made in my cat hook box you can find everything from a #4 size to a 20/0. what I use depends on the size of the fish I'm after and the size of the bait I'm using. It doesn't make much sense to me to put on a 2 lb carp after big flatheads,and not have enough hook left to stick'em. By the same token a 12/0 stainless j just might be a little much for catching eater channels with small chunks of cutbait. Of course the rod and reel need matching up too!

13. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    10/0 king kahle for 95% of my flathead fishing or a 7/0 kahle the other times for smaller baits

14. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    for most catfishing i use a 4/0 sickle,i also have some 7/0 octupus sickles love both of them

15. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i use anywhere from 4/0 to 10/0 khales i use 7/0 most of the time along with8-9/0 a lot just how big my bait is:wink:

16. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    10/0 Owner SSW's! Thats the way to go!!!

17. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have alot of hooks in my tackle box but I use Team Catfish 8/0 Double Action circles the most because of the bigger live baits I like to fish with for the fat flatties. However I do like their smaller circles and I'll use 4/0 too when I am targetting eater channels.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  18. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    5/0 to 8/0 Gamakatzu Octopus Circle

19. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was using mostly 6-8/0 circles. But now I have hooks that range from 1/0 - 20/0 circles and up to 10/0 khales. Good luck!

20. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    7/0-10/0 Kahles, are doing OK for me.