Favorite hook for the catfish

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by HEAVYSETDOOBER, Mar 21, 2007.

1. HEAVYSETDOOBER

HEAVYSETDOOBER New Member

State:
    Mayfield,Kentucky
    I was wondering what the best hook is for cats. I've tried Whisker Stickers and wondering what others thought of them and if these were actually the best or if there were different ones on the market that i havent tried that might be better.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I like the Daiichi Bleeding Bait Hooks.

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i use the 10/0 an 9/0 king kahle hooks thats what works good around here for us iv put 2 -40 pound fish in the boat in the last mouth an not had any problem with them

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Buy some Kahle hooks you will be glad you did:smile2: .

5. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I use Gamma 4/0 to 6/0

6. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    For eatin size cats with punch bait my hands down favorite hook is a #6 VMC Red 4X treble. This year I am trying the #5 Mustad stainless Kale on Jug lines.There are lots of good hooks out there many of them are not avaliable in stainless. I am gradually changing everything to stainless steel after the great hooks turn to a pile of rust . Gamagatsu's are great when they are new but they sure don't last very long.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I like circles, but Kahles are cheaper and the work well. So, I use Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp Kahles in 5/0 and 6/0. Will use bigger hooks with bigger baits, but the 5-6/0 ones do the job on catfish of all sizes.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    My favor hook is a 2/0 J-hook, but I am going to start using bigger hooks for blues and flats.

9. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    My experience over the past 40 years has taught me to use what works for me.... FOR ME, not what works for Joe or Wheeler or JD.

I test and test different rigs and hook styles against what I know works for me in an unending effort to improve my skills.

My experience and fishing style favors using a 5/0 to 8/0 circle hook in a Carolina rig with enough weight to hold the bait still in the current. I have a favorite brand, VMC, which seems to work the best for me.

I am an older, hard-of-hearing, plumb-laid-back redneck that likes the fish to tell me when they're ready to be dragged in. They tell me by making my rod bow toward them. The vibration of the bite and loading up of the rod are transmitted through the hull of the boat to my body.

My chosen line is as important as the choice of hook... I use Power-Pro and saltwater dacron line in the 100 pound range to withstand the stress of the fish, with the drag set to allow line to pay out at 25% of the rated strength of the rod.

It's all personal choice... whatever works for the catman is what he should use.

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    In my parts the Gama 8/0 really seems to be the hook of choice for the size fish generally found here.

11. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use gamakatsu octopus hooks from 7/0-10/0 and sometimes I use the 12/0 big river gamas for really big live bait. I dont use the circles, just the regular octopus. I know there is always a big debate on what hooks are better. I just like to set my hooks, its half the fun of fishing to me. As far as the quality of gama hooks, IMHO best hook for the money. Owner makes some very nice hooks but they are very expensive.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Depending on the size of your bait I choose 7/0-10/0 Kahle hooks. I like to set the hook so I don't use circle hooks.:lol: :big_smile: